Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveway ettiquette

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Sep 16, 2003.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Me and my stepmom are having a conversation on this very issue. I won't go into why until there are a significant number of responses.

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="106375467684_Chevy_K10">

Is it ok as a guest at someone's house to park in the driveway, or is it reserved for the people who live there?
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />It is for the people who live there, it is rude to park there
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />It's fine, why wouldn't you park in the driveway?
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Depends on the situation. If you know the people well, I would park in the driveway. If I was going to meet someone for the first time, I wouldn't.

Kris

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

It depends how bad your oil leak is /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I park in all of my friends driveways, and they all park in mine. BUT If the vehicle im driving leaks oil I will NOT park in the driveway. Some of my friends still havent figured that out yet though.

5. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Depends on the situation. If you know the people well, I would park in the driveway. If I was going to meet someone for the first time, I wouldn't.

Kris

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto on that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

now if you dont park in the driveway, where in the hell do you park? in the neighbors driveway? just wondering because i sure wouldnt park on someones yard...

7. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

if it is a 100 foot driveway i pull to the side if it is a small town in blocks park on the street

Pulling up in some ones drive way and honking ( look for the gun and run at my house)

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Where I grew up all my friends lived on farms... If you didnt park in my drive way you would either be in the middle of the main highway or the ditch! But the driveway was also big enough for my dad to turn his semi around in so it was not hard to find a parking spot either.

Of coarse now I barely have enough room for my own cars/trucks in my driveway and there is no parking allowed on the street.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    if it is a 100 foot driveway i pull to the side if it is a small town in blocks park on the street

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself.

It's rude to park on someone's driveway in town. In the country, pull off to the side. In town, park on the street.

10. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

well now pulling in and honking is just asking/requesting an ass whoopin...even my friends dont pull in and honk..now chevy4wd since his horn doesnt work..likes to pull into the empty drive/lot across the street and rack it up...that suffices to bring not only me outside, but the neighbors as well..but fahk them.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly right /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

since my truck leaks oil, there's only 1 way I can answer that one. when I get a new truck, I might have to re-evaluate the situation.

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

It's rude to park on someone's driveway in town. In the country, pull off to the side. In town, park on the street.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if a good freind of your's parks in your driveway you think it's rude? I guess you actually are about as freindly as your posts make you seem.

If I had a driveway I wouldn't care if people parked in it, that's what it's there for. So long as they don't leave an oil stain then no big deal. Hell, I've parked in my freind's garages before. Neither my freinds nor myself even knock at each other's houses, we just walk in and announce ourselves. We're a laid back bunch.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    So if a good freind of your's parks in your driveway you think it's rude?

[/ QUOTE ]

A good friend of mine wouldn't park in my driveway here at my dad's house. At my mom's house, in the country, they would not pull up to the garage and park on the concrete. They'd park on the gravel or in the yard, just because that patch of concrete is where people that live there park.

Hell, when I visit my mom's house, I don't even park in her spot. I think that's TOTALLY rude.

This all started because it seems every time I come home from work, some family member of my step mom's, whether it be her EX husband or her brother in law today, is parked not only in the driveway, but in the middle of the driveway, blocking it. Today, I couldn't even turn around because they were near the end of the driveway, centered, blocking the entire path.

I thought it was beyond rude, but they heard me make a 5 point turn in the driveway because they heard my fan spinning and stuff as I clutched, reversed, clutched, went back to forward, etc (I drive a stick, that's just what it sounds like, and Ford p/s pumps are loud as hell when you're cranking the wheel back and forth).

I didn't say anything, I'm not that much of an [darn], but I still thought it was totally rude.

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I guess maybe I think of driveways differently than you, to me a driveway is about 25 feet long and as wide as the garage. I'm born and raised in suburbia. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Parking in the driveway and blocking the driveway are different, and everyone that I know uses the garage to park their cars so it's not like you'd be using their spot. If they're home then their vehicle is generally in the garage. Oh well, semantics... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well I live in suburbia, and my driveway is about 20 feet wide and 30 feet long. That's counting the parkway and the sidewalk.

This particular idiot parked in the middle of the base of the driveway so not only could I not get to my spot, I couldn't even turn around.

17. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I'd classify that as blocking the driveway, not parking in it... That's rude for sure.

18. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] exactly, i can park my big loud leaky suburban in any of my friend's driveways, but if i were goin to see someone i didnt know very well id park on the street.

19. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    everyone that I know uses the garage to park their cars

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Your garage actually has room for cars!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Wow, that was a good one, Shaggy!

20. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Dirty garages bug the hell out of me. In my book, garages are there to work on and park cars in, it's not a place to throw all of your crap that you're too lazy to get rid of. I can fit my truck and my wife's Outback in my garage, and they are both parked in there every night. When I want to work on the truck I just back out the Subaru and move the truck to the middle. I have alot of stuff in there, including crap that I should get rid of, but it's all nice and organized so there's room to park 2 vehicles.

That sounded like a rant... But it wasn't. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif