Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveway gear swap (Difficulty)

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by dabears73k5, Sep 16, 2006.

1. dabears73k5

dabears73k5 Registered Member

Ok, i love the thrill of doing most of my work myself on my rig. When i first got it i through on a 6" lift, rewired the complete truck, installed a soft top and put in a carpet kit (which is getting torn out for a bedliner finish). I ma tempted to do the gear swap myself but was wondering about which special tools will be needed, and if you can do it with out a press? Any feed back would be great.:1zhelp:

2. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Probably be better off finding someone who already has all the tools and the know-how to do it.Mine just cost me a few beers...:D

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Can do it w/o a press, but that makes it more difficult.
    Highly suggest you find someone who's done it b4 to at least guide you thru it, if not do it with your help.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You need a good set of calipers and dial indicator w/ mag base. You will also want to use a press. You can get away with a bearing separator on the smaller axles, but if it's a 14B, forget it. You need a press.

I have done several different types of axles and they all have their different quirks.

If you really want to do it yourself, do a LOT of research. There are a couple install videos kicking around out there that are worth their weight in gold for the info they have. I'll see if I can't dig up the one I have. It's pretty good. Kind of like a "gear swaps for dummies". Maybe that's why I like it so much??:confused: :haha:

5. 1BEATK5

1BEATK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

for a first timer on a non 14b axle i would suggest a set up bearing kit, so you wouldn't have to worry about being able to change the shims under the bearings without the proper and expensive bearing tool.
    just set the axle up with the set-up bearings first (they are not a press fit), and once you have it right you put the real bearings on.