Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveway stains

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86chevybanshee, Jan 3, 2005.

1. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i got a bunch of oil, tranny fluid, and gear oil stains on my asphalt drive way. does anyone know the best way to get them out?

2. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

local auto shops may have something specific...i've always wasted a can of engine degreaser...spray it all into a bucket of hot water...mix it up good and get to scrubbin...spray it down and looks brand new!

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

that or the meritic(sp) acid stuff works awesome you can get it at any hardware store, just poor it on there give it a lil scrub and rinse :xmas:

4. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

for smaller spots, i've had luck with liquid dish soap that cuts grease. but i think the oil spots were fairly fresh.

auto parts stores have kitty litter stuff. when i worked in the store we used it in the lot.

5. blind driver

blind driver Registered Member

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

1 quart of Tide laundry detergent in 1 gallon of hot water. Mix it well, pour it on, let it sit for 10-15 minutes, scrub with a stiff bristle brush, and rinse. Much safer than muriatic acid - Tide won't burn your skin or kill your grass & pets.

7. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

Brakleen works for me.. spray it on and hose it off. Little spendy if you have it everywhere.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

lots of ways to erase oil stains

If its on asphalt,its much harder to get rid of oil stains than cement--muriatic acid works,but is deadly to pets and grass,and even one drop in your eyes will be disaster--I use speedi-dri on big spills first,when the majority is mopped up with that,Castrol Super Clean scrubbed in with a brush,or laundry detergent will help cut the grease,I've used easy off oven cleaner too with limited results---the bottom line is you aren't likely to get ALL the stains out with anything you use,but you can try TSP--Tri-sodium Phosphate,sold in paint stores,scrub it with a brush like the detergent--they claim if you cover the spill with speedi-dri,and soak it with paint thinner it will lift the stain into the speedi-dri as the paint thinner evaporates....

I've tried them all,but still have a big oily mess where my 82 GMC Cabalaro leaked dextron and motor oil on the driveway--one thing I've learned,its a lot easier to put a mat of cardboard or a peice of plywood or other stuff(homosote,, or masonite board will catch the oil,and once it soaks in you can burn it) under the car or truck,and to mop up any spills quickly,before they get to soak in--I've tried pouring lighter fluid on it,and lighting it,and letting it burn--it smokes like hell,softens the asphalt,but some of the oil did burn off,but the tar will never be the same!:blush: --the only thing that will remove them completely is time--after 12 years,the spot my 72 K5 oozed gear oil all over the drive has no trace at all,except for a darker shadow where the 90W used to be--I guess acid rain and 12 years is one way to get those stains out!!...:crazy:

9. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

well the drive way is less than a year old, my old man just flips a sh** anytime something other than water gets on it, and having and old chevy dosnt help

10. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I've had good luck with "Greased Lightning". Wallyworld, Dollar Stores, and most supermarkets carry it. Gets the grease out of clothes, too:waytogo:

John

11. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

diesel + hot water pressure washer :)

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My dad used to flip out too!

Dont feel alone--my dad is the reason I know so much about driveway oil spill removal too--he used to go ballistic when he saw anything spilled on the driveway--I learned too late to park in the woods next to the driveway,and not to leave the truck on the asphalt--he was always watching me very closely while working on my trucks too,and more than once I spilled some oil or tranny fluid due to just being paranoid I would!!:blush:

Well,my dad passed away in april of 2000--the stains were pretty much gone from the spots he always complained about by then--and he did say to me once he was sorry he got so angry about something that wasn't really that big of a deal,he just felt it was disrespectful of me to treat his hard earned property like a junkyard--but he did say he was impressed with all I had done to my trucks,mostly alone,since he was bedridden with parkinsons disease--I miss him a lot--but I can still hear him yelling at me for spilling that gear oil!!:blush: :frown1:

Oh yeah--if you try a pressure washer,dont use one with more than 1500 psi--I borrowed a 3500psi one from a friend,and washed the offendng spot in the driveway--most of the tar blew 15 ft away into the woods,leaving a huge crater--I thought he was mad about the oil spill--that was NOTHING compared to "hydro blasting" the asphalt right into the next yard!!:frown1: --that spot is filled with concrete now...:blush:

13. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

spread kitty litter, then take a liter or two of coke and dump it all over the kitty litter. Dont ask me.... but it did work once or twice...

now i just use a pressure washer... and some bleach....

14. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've used JUST a hot water pressure washer on a concrete driveway before to clean whatever oil/fluid I spilled on it off, and it worked great.

Only problem was that the rest of the driveway ended up looking dirty because those spots were so clean.

16. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Go to Checker, Shucks, or Kragen and find the stuff called Oil Eater. It is biodegradable and will get your driveway really clean. It works as good or better then degreaser or brake cleaner, and you don't hurt the environment. A gallon cost me $9.

Harley