Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driving 400 miles with 35s and no steering stabilizer, do I need one?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79ChevySB, Jan 9, 2003.

1. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

On saturday Im going to look at a Blazer that I want to buy. With 35s on the truck how bad would it be to drive it 400 miles with no steering stabilizer and a shot power steering pump? Im bringing tools and some spare parts, but was wondering if I should get a stabilizer from the JY for the trip? Thanks.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Take a stabilizer with you.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I drove my truck with no stabilzer for years no problem.
    Now if the power steering pump is bad, don't put the stabilizer on it will make it even harder to steer.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

my brother had a 74 ford 250hiboy, it had a newer pump put on it, but it blew out, it was driveable with 35s, but man his turning radius was horrible, and he got a workout turnin it till he fixed it... its doable, if its mostly highway it shouldnt be too bad...
    i dont see why you couldnt limp it home...but be careful man, good luck with it

5. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I drove about 3 months with no stabilizer. The only prob I had was DW when braking because of the shot rotors but put it back on and it alsot better in that aspect of the rotors.

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Don't sweat it. Turning the wheels at a dead stop will be tough with no P/S, but the stabilizer is nothing. I haven't had one on my 89 for 5 years now and I can't say as I miss it. To me it just hides what the tires are really doing.

Just for reference, my 89 has 36" swampers, no steering stabilizer, no sway bar and I drive it 50 miles a day to and from work. Made that same drive without P/S one night. Wasn't too bad till I had to pull down my driveway. I wasn't going verry fast and the steering was tight. Other than that, no big deal.

KP

7. motorheadnelson

motorheadnelson Registered Member

Just think of the upper body workout you should get after 400 miles..