Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driving a Jeep... but let me tell you of the kills

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BowtieRed, Sep 27, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

I was driving my dad's TJ last night and went to a nearby town to "cruise" and wow- there are a lot of ricers otu there and the occassional really nice Fbody or Mustang or truck. But let's get to the good part

I look ahead of me and see an eclipse and an integra racing, both have 'intake and exhaust' so i try and catch up and do, and the integra stops at a red light- i try to pull up beside him, but it turns green, and i slow down beside him at his speed, and gun it, so does he- good bye integra, you lose. . .badly. . . so a little down the road we slow to 40. . 1-2-3- 2nd gear goodbye again. . .

later on, a ford focus with 'all the goodies' does a flyby or whatever, and i catch up, and do my own, and then we give each other the 1-2-3 and see you later. man that 4.0 jeep is so fast. . ./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

later on i pull up beside an older eclipse and i as him why he won't race me- because i drive by a couple times and he says "you ain't got nothing" and i here him wind his turbo out and it does sound pretty good, but still- i lie and say "this blown 4.0 will dust your turbo" he goes on about his mods and how he has nitrous- and i say we'll race if doesn't use it- he agrees. so in front of the gas station where everyone is bwe race, they see me LEAVE HIS ASS! launched in 4wd, then shifted to 2wd immediately, he was so gone! he says "wow! i could hear that blower, let's go back to the gas station and take a look" so everyone at the gas station is talking when we get back "hey man,what you got under there? wow man! nice kill!" then we pull up beside each other, and i reveal my stock engine to them all and they were in awe- apparently that eclipse is one of the faster cars out there. i welcome any more challenges, and no one accepts, and they all give me "props" and say i'm a quote "awesome drive for double clutchin 2nd 3 times" anyway, thought ya'lled lik that story. 2nd goes from 35-60 so i can double clutch it a lot- haha

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You're bragging about street racing?

3. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You're bragging about street racing a TJ?

[/ QUOTE ]

4. BowtieRed

that i am.

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Sir, we don't take kindly to... your type... round these parts... I'm very sorry, but we're gonna have to take that pretty girl Jeep yer in and crush it, burn it, and spread the ashes along the Florida coast... Oh and people don't seem to like street racing 'round these parts either /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

P.S. I don't get the quote in your signature................ Are you implying something???? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

a turbo eclipse is rice, but one of the good rice, i got to say they move and there is no way a jeep could beat it, a 4.0 (manual trany) can't beat my truck and i sure as heck can't beat a turbo eclipse. (maybe it was a clutch that was made to fake a turbo sound, ive heard those before, rice is a definition of fake with fiew exceptions).
    lunching in 4wd wouldn't give you any advantage, trubo eclipses were awd.
    i wondered what ricers meant by double and triple clutching, i mean you used to double clutch old truck trannys becouse of the syncros, you know clutch go to neutral, relese, clutch go to next gear, release, but why would one double clutch a sprots tranny with sycncros. well as i rode with a rice boy some months ago i found out what they ment by double or triple clutch. its hit clutch while holding gas pedal and release as soon as revs hit the red line and repeat in the same gear as soon as clutch smoking is over. i nearly slapped the guy when he did it in his honda, i would of beat the crap out of him and dumped his anus on out of the truck while still in motion if he did that in my truck.
    there is possible and there is impossible, a 4.0 jeep beating a tubo eclipse (both fully functional and semi ok drivers) is impossible.
    dude, maybe you should think about getting a honda civic si type r eh?. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. BowtieRed

[ QUOTE ]
    a turbo eclipse is rice, but one of the good rice, i got to say they move and there is no way a jeep could beat it, a 4.0 (manual trany) can't beat my truck and i sure as heck can't beat a turbo eclipse. (maybe it was a clutch that was made to fake a turbo sound, ive heard those before, rice is a definition of fake with fiew exceptions).
    lunching in 4wd wouldn't give you any advantage, trubo eclipses were awd.
    i wondered what ricers meant by double and triple clutching, i mean you used to double clutch old truck trannys becouse of the syncros, you know clutch go to neutral, relese, clutch go to next gear, release, but why would one double clutch a sprots tranny with sycncros. well as i rode with a rice boy some months ago i found out what they ment by double or triple clutch. its hit clutch while holding gas pedal and release as soon as revs hit the red line and repeat in the same gear as soon as clutch smoking is over. i nearly slapped the guy when he did it in his honda, i would of beat the crap out of him and dumped his anus on out of the truck while still in motion if he did that in my truck.
    there is possible and there is impossible, a 4.0 jeep beating a tubo eclipse (both fully functional and semi ok drivers) is impossible.
    dude, maybe you should think about getting a honda civic si type r eh?. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

it is NOT impossible. i have no reason to lie. it was a late 80s eclipse. things wear out in that time. some drivers suck. burnt clutches, etc. double clutch in tapping the clutch while accelerating to get in power band better, it helped accleration if you do it right- similiar to a hill climb on a dirt bike. i didn't CRUSH him, but i did win, up to about 55-60 then we both let off. maybe he's geared for top end, i don't know. with it in 4x4 i can dropp the clutch and not worry about traction. maybe it was a fake turbo sound, i don't know. but i beat him, i know i did, and everyone in high point, NC does too. or everyone watching.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That's still up there with running a race in the special olymic's Red...

Rene

10. BowtieRed

ok, llet me clarify- i was not racing to be cool, or showing off, i was merely trying to embarrass these guys. shoot i never even broke 65mph- i'm not a [total] dumbass.

11. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I was driving my dad's TJ last night and went to a nearby town to "cruise" and wow- there are a lot of ricers otu there and the occassional really nice Fbody or Mustang or truck. But let's get to the good part

I look ahead of me and see an eclipse and an integra racing, both have 'intake and exhaust' so i try and catch up and do, and the integra stops at a red light- i try to pull up beside him, but it turns green, and i slow down beside him at his speed, and gun it, so does he- good bye integra, you lose. . .badly. . . so a little down the road we slow to 40. . 1-2-3- 2nd gear goodbye again. . .

later on, a ford focus with 'all the goodies' does a flyby or whatever, and i catch up, and do my own, and then we give each other the 1-2-3 and see you later. man that 4.0 jeep is so fast. . ./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

later on i pull up beside an older eclipse and i as him why he won't race me- because i drive by a couple times and he says "you ain't got nothing" and i here him wind his turbo out and it does sound pretty good, but still- i lie and say "this blown 4.0 will dust your turbo" he goes on about his mods and how he has nitrous- and i say we'll race if doesn't use it- he agrees. so in front of the gas station where everyone is bwe race, they see me LEAVE HIS ASS! launched in 4wd, then shifted to 2wd immediately, he was so gone! he says "wow! i could hear that blower, let's go back to the gas station and take a look" so everyone at the gas station is talking when we get back "hey man,what you got under there? wow man! nice kill!" then we pull up beside each other, and i reveal my stock engine to them all and they were in awe- apparently that eclipse is one of the faster cars out there. i welcome any more challenges, and no one accepts, and they all give me "props" and say i'm a quote "awesome drive for double clutchin 2nd 3 times" anyway, thought ya'lled lik that story. 2nd goes from 35-60 so i can double clutch it a lot- haha

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

12. BowtieRed

ok. that's fine, doesn't really bother me. why would i just randomly make up a story like that? go get a 02 TJ and disconnect the air box and see if it won't outrun a 91 integra. or a ford focus. they are slow cars. jeeps are light and have 200horsepower and 230ish on the torque side. i don't see what so hard to believe about a jeep outrunning those cars to 50 or 60. i don't know the story with the eclipse, maybe it wasn't turbo, maybe it threw a rod, maybe it just blew ass- i don't know- but i do know i beat him in a stock 02 jeep TJ 4.0

13. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    why would i just randomly make up a story like that?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well, to start , you come here bragging about street racing. So right off the bat we know you are young and in my opinion , imature. You have to understand, ths is not a "Streetracing site" so the fact that you are suprised that most here think you are full -o-crap, well, again, read above.
    Now, with all that said, it seems clear that you would make something up thinking people here would give ya a pat on the back. OOPS!
    So in summery, if it true, Good for you, you are a perfect example of irrisponsibilty. I love fast cars, but they belong on a track. The street is full of people that you have decided to indanger becuase you feel your Jeep can race and you have something to prove to the other idiots at the gas station.

And if isn't true , well then you are the perfect example of a liar.
    take your choice cause you are the WINNER
    [​IMG]

14. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Street racing is only going to get you in trouble and endanger lives.
    I've been out with friends on what i'd call a safe and responsible night with 20 cars where everyone is smart, and i've also seen downright stupid stuff where everyones almost crashing.
    I can understand what yer talking about.. cruising around, if its the right time and the right place and all is safe, why not... I just wouldn't be posting about it in a public forum.
    I've been pulled over with a buddy racing in his car and almost got his car impounded. The cop lectured us, then let us go, and we found out the next morning on the news a few hours earlier a few teens died street racing and that sherrif was probably at that scene 2 hours earlier. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    2 of my friends have had their camaros impounded for a month & ~$1500 in tickets/ impound fees.
    Everytime i see someone i know, they tell me "they know someone that wants to race me"... I tell them that it ain't worth it, street racing is stupid, you don't get your timeslip. Fast cars are squirrly, sometimes mine doesn't want to stay in its own lane, and i don't race. It's not worth losing my licence to prove something to someone else. There is always someone faster than you.
    I've told cops this and been let off for other things.

15. BowtieRed

maybe i am a bit immature. ok, i'm not making excuses- yes it was illegal. however, i don't consider doing 65 on a 55mph road excedingly dangerous and i know for a fact many of ya'll cruise at that speed. i don't mind having ya'll voice your opinions on racing, all adults will do that when they hear about things they have learned from personally. i won't believe for a second that none of ya'll when you were 16 ever had a mock race, or anything like that, i know atleast some of ya'll have. back to the point- i accelerate fast often, but i usually stop about 5-10mph over, like normal drivers- and i did the exact same in these cases. a jeep is not a vehicle that you are going to lose control of because of absurd amounts of acceleration. i think ya'll might have gotten the idea that we took it up to 100+ - not so, i might be immature, but i'm not STUPID, a jeep can't handle anything at that speed, and very few drivers can safely manuever any car safely at that speed, and i know i can't. i have literally told my friend to stop, let me out and i'd watch him race when he said they were racing a whole mile. i don't think i'm immortal, and i don't think i know everything, but i'm pretty convinced 65mph in a 55 is not ungodly dangerous. one more thing DBlazer- i am not a f*cking liar. not being a smartass, not an insult or to be taken badly, i respect your comments, but calling me a liar pisses me off more than anything. if there's one thing i pride myself on- i don't lie to people- i'll tell anyone what i think, i'll tell anyone what i did, and i'll say it to their face. so consider me immature, and then look at your 16 year old self and tell me how much more responsible you were. not saying you weren't...but i don't think any of ya'll were perfectly safe 100% of the time then or now.

16. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Whatever you say, I find it hard to believe you blew away this turbo car by only going 10miles an hour over the speed limit. I guess the other guy you blew away and met back at the gas station just decided to stop and let you win. Thats how most street racers are. I remeber when I was do was young,......." Hey I'll run ya, first to to the end of the next light, but hey, the speedlimit is only 55, so it is the first to 55 then we just slow down.
    Again, I call[​IMG]

You can justify, you can change your story, you can say what ya will. I don't but it. I know when I was 16 I did some stupid crap. Don't get me wrong, I did. I would have left this alone, but I wanted to call you on the inconsistancies. First story, Ou blew him away and went back to the gas station to proudly open the hood......then well, you weren't racing, you were embarasing the other driver.....now it was a mock race........ [​IMG] Story a, or b or c... you ake the call.

17. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Those 4.0L sixers feel pretty dawg-awn good.
    I think it's the power to weight ratio - mostly tho'.

80's Eclipse = smoker
    Turbo Eclipse = fogger

Could care less if the stories true or not.

18. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

Chill out folks...

I've been into cars/trucks/motorcycles/homemade-death-traps/etc for a lot of years. Done my share of stupid things.

In all my years I can think of only two people who had a high-performance vehicle of some kind and yet NEVER did something stupid or dangerous in it. This includes, but is not limited to, 4x4 trucks.

Street Racing is stupid and dangerous. Driving your 4x4 someplace you shouldn't drive it is stupid and dangerous. Doing stunts on your motorcycle is stupid and dangerous. Driving home in 5-'o'-Clock traffic is stupid and dangerous. I've done all of it.

I certainly wouldn't advise anyone else to do any of it... But I certainly wouldn't criticize and pretend that I'm clean as a whistle either. Ever tried to beat your best time home from work? That's technically street racing. Ever sped up to get around someone so you could change lanes or make a quick turn? Street racing. And it doesn't matter whether you're in your minivan and late to drop the kids off at daycare or in your Turbo Eclipse cruising on Saturday night. It's still stupid and dangerous. Let he who is without sin cast the first angry reply...

As for what can beat what, I've seen lots of unlikely racing victories. Would I believe a 4.0L Jeep could beat a Turbo Eclipse? You bet. It may seem unlikely, but I've seen stranger things. I don't know much about rice, but I know the 4.0L Jeeps post 1/4 mile times in the mid-to-high 15's. That's pretty respectable for a 4x4.

(Paul dons his 'Angry BBS Reply Repellent Cape' and awaits attack.) /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

19. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Street Racing is stupid and dangerous. Driving your 4x4 someplace you shouldn't drive it is stupid and dangerous. Doing stunts on your motorcycle is stupid and dangerous. Driving home in 5-'o'-Clock traffic is stupid and dangerous.
    I've done all of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Your an animal ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Street racing is only going to get you in trouble and endanger lives.
    I've been out with friends on what i'd call a safe and responsible night with 20 cars where everyone is smart, and i've also seen downright stupid stuff where everyones almost crashing.
    I can understand what yer talking about.. cruising around, if its the right time and the right place and all is safe, why not... I just wouldn't be posting about it in a public forum.
    I've been pulled over with a buddy racing in his car and almost got his car impounded. The cop lectured us, then let us go, and we found out the next morning on the news a few hours earlier a few teens died street racing and that sherrif was probably at that scene 2 hours earlier. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    2 of my friends have had their camaros impounded for a month & ~$1500 in tickets/ impound fees.
    Everytime i see someone i know, they tell me "they know someone that wants to race me"... I tell them that it ain't worth it, street racing is stupid, you don't get your timeslip. Fast cars are squirrly, sometimes mine doesn't want to stay in its own lane, and i don't race. It's not worth losing my licence to prove something to someone else. There is always someone faster than you.
    I've told cops this and been let off for other things.

[/ QUOTE ] I have to admit that I street raced when I was younger. But back then we would find a place with no traffic, and nobody around. We didn't worry about getting hurt ourselves, but we didn't race where John Q Public might get T-boned. We had alittle more common sence then the ricers, not much, but alittle.