Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driving a lifted vehicle in high wind

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big d, Jan 17, 2004.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

as the title says . my rig is some times scarey to drive in high wind, is any body else's ? or is it the swb thing ? is there anything one can do to correct this (please leave out smart azz comments). thanks in advance for any positive comments. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Yup! harsh cross winds makes for scary ride sometimes! Both in my K5 and on my bikes!
    Bill

3. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Yup, same thing here, K5 is really bad and mom's burb is not fun either. I guess it is not just a SWB thing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea its not fun, to me, mainly becuase of the crappy gas milage i get! but its kinda fun sittin in ur truck at the stop light and feelin the wind push it side to side lol /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't mind. I think it's because I have a pretty "tight" truck. IE: pretty much everything is brand new like all the rubber parts and all the steering except for the box. That's even with my bicycle tires. Now my Dad's truck with the sloppy steering... that thing is stressful to drive.

I suspect that if I didn't have all new swaybar bushings and a brand new steering dampener it'd be a little less fun to drive in the crosswinds.

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

It's the area of the vehicle that intensifies the problem. Driving an AstroVan in crosswind sucks.

Here's a little wind story in the K5. I was on I-40 out in Arizona going to a funeral and was in the left lane cause the crosswind was bad. Anyway, I came out from behind a hill and the wind hit the K5 and blew me all the way across to the righthand shoulder before I could recover /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. buick528

buick528 Registered Member

i move office trailers .try getting hit with some wind while pulling a 12 ft wide by 60 ft long trailer on a ball hitch.

8. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Just use commmon sense and slow down. This is good advice for any inclement weather. Lifting a truck is just trading one deficiency for another. Slow down and stay in control.

9. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I dont have that much trouble, but a couple of months ago I was pounded real bad on my way to Flagstaff, I think I do ok because the lack of a top, tailgate, doors and no fender wells? hmm not that bad though /forums/images/graemlins/bewarespam.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You guys should feel how 16" wide Swampers float off the pavement in the rain. I had no idea that it'd be that bad until I was coming home from laketex's house the night he had his little get-together. 60 MPH + rain + 38.5x16" Swampers = some scary handling characteristics. I just slowed down and made it home fine, but it's crazy how seemingly simple things can cause you to just about lose it sometimes.

I know that I'm not the only one that has bias ply tires that find tiny ruts in the road, either. Especially at 60+ MPH.

11. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Try driving across Kansas, In tornado season, In a semi with an almost empty 53' trailer!! Saw the rig in front of me get tipped!! Scared the crap outa me!! I stopped, parked into wind and stayed the night!

12. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yup, its a scary feeling. I try to slow down but sometimes I cant. I bet it looks like a drunk driver weaving all over the road /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Luckily these tires do great in the rain, I can still go 70mph no problem even with light cross wind.

13. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

For me the worst is going agains the wind. I drove 2 hours last night head first into a pretty stiff wind that would not let up. Recorded my worst fuel economy ever at 12 mpg, and that was averaging 65 mph. Hitting hills i could barely maintain 60 in OD. The drive home sure was nice though /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    For me the worst is going agains the wind. I drove 2 hours last night head first into a pretty stiff wind that would not let up. Recorded my worst fuel economy ever at 12 mpg, and that was averaging 65 mph. Hitting hills i could barely maintain 60 in OD. The drive home sure was nice though /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, head winds do suck.

I was in OK one time in the '94 GMC 1/2 ton I had, towing one of those small U-Haul trailers. The last 60 miles of the trip, I used almost a full tank of gas because of the wind.

15. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Swerved into other lanes a couple times because of the wind. Scary, but what are you gonna do??? Ride or die.

16. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

To borrow and slightly modify an infamous quote: It will leave you quivering like a crack whore when you're finished. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

I drive west to east in the mornings and we either allways get North winds or South winds so its constantly pushing me sideways.

18. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Yeah, my suburban is like a sail in the wind.

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If it's really windy, the K5 doesn't go anywhere. If I have to go somewhere there is always the 98 Dodge Stratus.

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

12 mpg..what the hell u complaining about!? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif