Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driving around in 1st gear

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by anatomiczero, Aug 26, 2003.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

Is it bad on the engine or tranny? I keep it under 35 and only for a few miles around town, it just sounds cool /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

what...like a stock car racing by. only,going 20mph...
    the guy selling gas thinks its cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

Heh, It sounds bad ass to me (dual glasspacks) and it back fires, or just pops from the glasspacks I don't know, anyway it makes people look.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Nah it doesn't hurt anything unless you over-rev your engine.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Heh, It sounds bad ass to me (dual glasspacks) and it back fires, or just pops from the glasspacks I don't know, anyway it makes people look.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> I bet it does. They go "Hey, look at the dumbass who doesn't know how to shift!" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif This falls into the category of "You think you look cool, but everyone else thinks you look like an idiot". Like those guys that pull in to the gas station and leave their stereos on full blast with their door open, they think that they're the bee's knees and everyone else is annoyed at and embarrassed for the moron that thinks he's cool. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif </font>

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

At 35mph you've got to be pushing four grand. Run it in second gear. It isn't nice to run a motor at high rpm with zero load on it, especially if it is an old motor.

However, I do periodically use this to scare the ricers. See, you run in second gear. Then you drop it into first and stomp on the stupid pedal. It'll cause the back tires to squeal because you're going from like 2400rpm to 4000rpm from dropping a gear. And if you do it just right and stomp on the stupid pedal it'll sound like your vehicle has enough ponies to squawk them at 30mph. Even though the old farts in the Chargers and Chevelles know what you're doing the wrong wheel drive ricers don't have a clue.

PS: 700R4s don't like the abuse.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Uh ya, why the hell would you want to drive around in 1st gear at 35mph. What a waste of gas! And I agree that everyone that notices is saying "what a dumbass" I know I would. You want people to notice you, slap on a big lift, boggers and welds, BUILD a hot a motor that sounds good at high RPM and idle, a coat of good paint, and shift into second just before the motor quits climing RPM's.

85K5 3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift, 35"boggers,16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah, put your Boggers on Welds. A lot of sense that makes.

Leave that bling at home. Why have trail tires and a street rig?

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Some people have several sets of tires, "d00d." I, for one, have four sets I run. I've got two street sets (one set being local only because they're nearly bald), a non-street set, and a winter set. That's just what I run.

I have another set on 16s but the offset is for an IFS truck so I don't run them. I have yet another set that are at my parents' that are 35% left mud tires. That's just wheels with rubber on them.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree. I have many sets of tires as well. I would put my road tires on the welds and my boggers on the crappy rims. Why run the nice rims and trail tires together so you can scratch the hell out of the nice rims?

11. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, put your Boggers on Welds. A lot of sense that makes.

Leave that bling at home. Why have trail tires and a street rig?

[/ QUOTE ] I don't know where you get this "bling" thing from. Welds are one of the best wheels around and for the "trail" tires, boggers ride and handle suprisingly well for their nature on the street and I use them off road plenty. No one can deny that boggers look good on a truck. I like my tire and wheel combo because they look great and provide the traction that I need. I prefer driving something that looks good instead of a terd.

85K5 3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift, 35"boggers, 16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well that's the difference between you and me. I prefer to put road tires on pretty rims and trail tires on steel rims. Bling and Boggers don't go together in my opinion.

In other words, if I had $1200+ for a set of Welds, I definitely wouldn't have Boggers on them.

13. rjfguitar

thats nice /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think boggers look much better on a deep 12" or 14" wide rim than a street tire. We drive lifted trucks, mud tires are kind of part of the theme. And this "bling" thing ,that goes for pimps driving around in cadillacs with little gold and silver spoke wheels with curtans on all the windows. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Definantly not a K5 with a set of welds. And it's $1,600 for 16.5x14's

85K5 3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift, 35"boggers, 16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif