Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driving around in over drive

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by surpip, Mar 7, 2005.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

I had a discussion with my GF about driving in OD, she says its fine(dosent know a whole lott about cars but isent car dumb),
    I think it is a bad idea, as i was told it would wear out the tranny faster.
    Car in question is a 04 honda civic.
    Please only reply with facts not just"my dads uncle said its ok"
    thanks

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

My truck shifts into OD at 30mph if i let it, and its been going strong for over 200K miles. I cruise arround town in OD turning less than 1000 RPM's.

Cars today i wouldnt worry about. They compensate to hold gears longer until better opperating temps are reached in both the engine and tranny before running in OD.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

on the older overdrive trannys yes it was a BIG deal to not put it in overdrive in town and only use it on the highway or at substained speeds over 50 mph. on the newer trannys its not as big of a deal but i would still only use overdrive at speeds over 50mph. it never good on a tranny to constantly be shifting in and out of 4th

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

It shouldn't be a problem on newer cars since they are designed and tested to be run this way. The new electronic control transmissions typically do a lot better job of avoiding the "shift-hunt" condition that caused the problems for older vehicles. On my '90 K5 I always kept it in D until getting up to speed on the highway and then shifted into OD, on my '03 2500HD I just put it in gear and go........I've never noticed any hint of any shift-hunting on it.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

car wont evne be in final gear(overdrive) til its evn going fast enough to make it, OD is final gear, it wont skip 2 or 3 to get to OD, it doesnt work like that, honda, chevy, ford, anything, can drive around in od range all you want in town but doesnt mean you be in od, unless youre going fast nough for it to make it to od gear

good luck

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The indicator on mine says "automatic overdrive" above the letters , but its d-3-2-1 no overdrive listed , its "automatic" . With the right gearing , just like factory combo , it can stay in D or D with the circle around it for later trucks .

It should not kill the tranny in normal use by normal people :k5: :k5:

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Cool thanks guys, I guess it all depends what school of thought you come from, if it was my car i wouldent drive around town in OD but i guess it wouldent hurt it huh?

thanks again:D

8. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

"It should not kill the tranny in normal use by normal people"

so this counts me out huh???:blush: