Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driving distance and gas prices

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigchief427, Aug 24, 2004.

1. bigchief427

bigchief427 Registered Member

OK so all you guys who list your k5s as daily drivers. How far do you drive to work? i'm looking at options for my drive since gas isn't getting any cheaper. i've got a 26 mile dirve that take about 45 mintues no matter what. I'm not really crazy about gettin a little roller skate lookin car for work but i've got a deal on older k5 to replace the 2001 hd junker that i drive now. thanks.... matt

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i used to drive 45 miles, it kinda sucked. filled up every 4 days

3. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

bad idea. i drive like a grandma and i still only get maybe 12mpg on a good day. and i only drive 10mileseach way. id stick wit the 01 hd. unless you plan on buying maybe a colorado. but those are uber weak.

4. scubaclimber

scubaclimber Newbie

drive 12 miles to school every day and even keeping in OD i only get 12mpg, thats not getting up in it at all.thats also with TB, flows, and K&N feep what u got.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you have to get another vehicle, get a little econobox beater, and save up for a play vehicle.

If you've already got a vehicle, and think buying a cheap car will save money, it won't, unless you pay about $1 for the new vehicle...even $1000 buys a lot of gas when talking about even twice as many miles per gallon.

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Well I get between 10-12MPG. My commute to work consists of a 10 second walk across the road though =oP

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i commute from sacramento to vacaville for work, about 100 miles round trip, but between the MINI (33mpg) and my bike (about the same except it needs 91) its not to bad..... but damn when i drive the truck, look out wallet, makes a pretty big dent /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The real key to saving on gas (which environmentalists always seem to overlook) is to live near your job. I drive about 7-8 miles each way to work, plus some other driving around town and a tank of gas lasts more than 2 weeks. Some Toyota driving coworkers ridiculed my fuel economy (they seem to "know" that it's bad just by looking at the K5) until I explained to them that they were burning more gas than I was! Plus, my mileage is right on par with some of the bigger new trucks.

(Note: by "Toyota" I mean some "Toyota-like" boring little box that I don't even care about enough to identify /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have about a 10 mile round trip to work and my crew cab gets about 8~10 mpg. With all the additional driving (errands, kids, etc) I typically burn a full tank (22 gal @ $2.00 ea) in 5~6 days.

I could drive something more economical but I love my truck so that's just the price I pay to have it. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i commute from sacramento to vacaville for work, about 100 miles round trip, but between the MINI (33mpg) and my bike (about the same except it needs 91) its not to bad..... but damn when i drive the truck, look out wallet, makes a pretty big dent /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Are ya taking the scenic route??????? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I can get around 15 mpg from mine ( 33's 3.08's and 700r4 ) but a good part of my commute is across a reservation with no lights . It takes me about 45 minutes too . Its all about the preventative measures and new filters , and driving reasonably . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. bigchief427

bigchief427 Registered Member

i've got a 01 chevy hd with a 8.1/allison and it gets like 10-maybe 14 mpg and i'm kinda looking for a different vehicle (maybe) but the truck is pretty nice. pretty good tow rig but i don't have a trailer for the big nasty i wouldn't change where i live to be closer just have to suck it up or just drive the racin cavalier of the wifes and let her tool around the hd

13. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i'm gonna start looking into public transportation, they guarantee gas will be three bucks a gallon next summer. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif nationwide. i don't want to move closer to work cuz it's a ghetto-DETROIT,"look the whites are moving in" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. i get about 8 mpg in the DD and drive 18 miles one way.i have a 38 gallon tank and it costs just over $70.00 to fill it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

Well I averaged 10.3 MPG last month over the 1000 miles to the Outer Banks and back including the beach sand driving. Worth every penny though. My daily driver too! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

15. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

yeah, i hafto say i love my truck enough to pay $50 every 5 days for gas. and thats if i stay away from the beach. which takes a1/4 tank to get there. thanks u pos seized clutch fan. lol.

16. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

i have had my blazer for 3 months now and filled up the tank twice...hehe, i work less than 2 miles away and since she is running pretty crappy right now takin her off road isn't an option. I haven't even tried to compute the mileage, i'd say 10MPG, but ??

17. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The real key to saving on gas (which environmentalists always seem to overlook) is to live near your job. I drive about 7-8 miles each way to work, plus some other driving around town and a tank of gas lasts more than 2 weeks. Some Toyota driving coworkers ridiculed my fuel economy (they seem to "know" that it's bad just by looking at the K5) until I explained to them that they were burning more gas than I was! Plus, my mileage is right on par with some of the bigger new trucks.

(Note: by "Toyota" I mean some "Toyota-like" boring little box that I don't even care about enough to identify /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

That little fact seems to be a giant leap from their reality.

18. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

you guys are all forgetiing about our freind Diesel
    and when gas hits 3>00 per gallon no worrys ya start burning vege oil :-)
    thats it from here
    R

19. My 73 Blazer is running like crap!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Getting only 8 MPG or so! Gas here is $2.38 a Gallon for regular. Good thing my drive is only 7 miles one way to work. I use my jeep cherokee to go any real distance. New engine is in the works. With fuel injection. That should help ( I hope)... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

20. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    you guys are all forgetiing about our freind Diesel

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. I don't even know why everybody is scratching their heads for better fuel economy when the answer has been right in front of us for 100 years. A 6.2 Diesel will double the mileage from a 350 in a K5. That's more than any tweak will get you.

Our dependance on fossil fuels is also kind of forced on us. You can convert a diesel to run on vegtable oil for $200 and you can change a gas engine over to run on ethanol. We have farmland in the U.S. that sits dormant every year from lack of demand. If gas prices do continue to go up, that may finally get people buying the plant based fuels in the areas they are available. If that happens, it should kick the supply up. Alcohol does give significantly fewer miles per gallon than gasoline, though.