Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driving in 4WD

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by River, Dec 26, 2000.

1. River

River 1/2 ton status

Can it harm if i drive my blazer K5 in 4wd on wet pavement?

It`s snowing in Amsterdam now and some parts off the road are slippery and some parts are not, now i have to slowdown every time i shift from 2wd to 4wd.
    Hope somebodey can give me advise about this.

A happy new year to you all.

Greetings from Amsterdam,

River `90 K5, 350, TH700R4, NP241, "33, 3.08, 10 bolt F, 10 Bolt R(GOV-Lock)

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've run in 4WD in heavy rain before. It really helps keep the truck from jumping around when just one or two tires hydroplane. The water also provides enough tire slip to keep the driveline from binding.

As for "slowdown every time i shift from 2wd to 4wd", try shifting at speed. As long as the front hubs remain locked it should shift easily. Everything is already spinning so all you need to do is engage or disengage the gear. I do it all the time with mine.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You can shift in and out of 2 hi to 4 hi or 4 hi to 2 hi at any speed up to 55 mph according to my owners manual. I do all the time with no problems.I just let up on the gas when I shift I have about the same setup as yours xcept mines a 89

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

do you leave it in drive,and slam it into 4wd? or neutral? I never heard of doing that!

If it ain't a Chevy, don't raise it up!

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

On the 208 you can shift on the fly(in drive and, of course, with auto hubs). I dont have a manual, but I have a brochure for a '84 and it says to shift under speeds of 25.

[​IMG]

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When my hubs are locked I shift mine between 4HI and 2HI at speed and in gear, and I have a NP 205. I do take my foot off the gas though. As HarryH3 has pointed out when the hubs are engaged everything is turning at the same speed, all you're doing is engaging the front wheels. Going into LOW range is another story, I stop completely, depress the clutch and then shift into LOW range.

Rene

[​IMG]

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Unless you have an NP203 with full-time 4wd, I'd rather stay in 2wd on wet pavement. It probably wouldn't damage anything, but in 4wd at least one wheel could lose traction on curves, or would make you go straight, which could cause an accident.

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

8. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

I also live in the Netherlands. Let me tell you this, do not drive in 4WD in this country. Our roads have a far more agressive grip on your tires. Unless you have a full time 4WD you will end up with damage.

"K5 Grand GT in the Netherlands."

9. River

River 1/2 ton status

Thank you all for the reposts and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL.

When i understand it right. I can drive on a snowy wet road in 4WD. And when it`s a dry road i shift on the fly from 2WD to 4WD when i hit snow.

10. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Hey River,

Was checking out your website (thinking it was about your K-5)... what is this about? Do you travel around by cycle? Do you run a camp sight for those who do?

Just curious.

11. River

River 1/2 ton status

How are you doing Backlash.

I own a company in Amsterdam and we rent party-tents and campingparts. www.tvn.nl

I`m working on a site for my Blazer, last weekend i have made some pictures off my blazer so give me a view weeks (i became a daddy last week so time is a issue now) and my Blazer is online.