Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driving in NYC

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Dec 24, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

DAMN. I spent the last few days up on Long Island now that Tshy has moved up there. The driving wasn't horrible except for the highway ride there and highway ride back. Apparently the left lane on some of the highways has drainage greats, and apparentlly some of them are quite sunken in. If I still had my crappy tires I would have lost control the first time I hit one of those doing the speed limit. Then on the ride back I realized I didn't know what "getting cut off" meant. People didn't pull in front of me in a space there car just fit in. No they pulled in front of me when there was about 1/4 of a car length between me and the car in front of me. I was really debating whether I cared about my passenger side fender enough NOT to plow their back door out. Good thing I didn't drive my suburban, I would still be sitting in traffic talking to the cops. Oh and that didn't happen once it happened twice. Blared the horn at the woman who did it to me the second time and she didn't even bat an eyelash. I've never felt better to be back in my sleepy little home town than I did yesterday morning.

All that and my 97 Vortec motored rig sprung a nice intake gasket leak. So about half as fast as I poured it in it flowed out. About everytime I stopped and shut it off I had to refill the radiator. Fun I tell you, FUN!

On another note, it was really great to see Tshy and meet her Dad finally(I think he likes me :thumb:) And Ratch, HOW DO YOU LIVE THERE??

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:laugh:

I take the train!!

Did you get stuck in that mess at the GW Bridge yesterday?

Sounds like you were on the Northern state parkway, that's where those sunken grates are really bad (althoguh I've hit some bad ones on the Southern also). They've repaved that road a dozen times, and the grates are never any better. They take the water-flows-to-the-lowest-point thing a little over zealously...

I think it's one of the points of the drivers test here, you do better if you're psychotic...BTW, be glad you didn't get cutoff by a ricer... They try to get as close to your vehicle as they can without rubbing it while cutting you off... When I see them coming, I like to do something unexpected, like speed up into thier possible cutoff path or suddenly slow down because I thought I saw a hazard ahead :Whistling:... Sometimes it actually keeps them away, too. I don't care that much about the body panels...:grin:

Did you drive through the city? My most notable "normal" event driving there was when a doofus bicycle messenger slammed into the side of my truck, then got up and took off. I *never* drive into the city around this time of year, though, and I don't want to imagine how it was if you did. I can see the insane traffic there when I walk through on a weekday, I can't guess how bad it is on a semi-non-workday.

And why didn't you call me, ya ham?? I had a buncha days off in the last two weeks, I would've bought you a coffee or beer!

BTW, I'm glad you had a good visit with Tshy, too.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I meant to send you a PM before I left, I think I deleted the PMs we had back and forth a bit ago. Trying to clean up PMs since the fourm switch. I'll be going back on Monday morning for two days, you probably have to work but yeah. I took 278 east and 495N to get there(shes in Farmingdale). And took the Southern back. I think 495 was the worst.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Did you go around the city, soundslike you came over the throgs neck. Then, ahh, 495, the LIE... Farmingdale is like 5 minutes from me. Let me know next time you're around!

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

A few years ago I had a job where I went out to Harrisburg, Pa to work for 2 months. I drove a semi truck from Harrisburg to Glen Cove out on Long Island every day. There is a service road that runs along side of 495 and the first time I was out there they were doing a bunch of road construction and had a huge backup and I had a BMW just come out from the trees and cut in front of me. There were well worn dirt trails from 495 to the service and back and they would cut in and out through them depending on which road was moving faster. Never before had I seen so much wheelin' done with Mercedes and Beamers! :eek1:

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Pm me your number again Ratch, like I said I'm headed back up there on Monday morning(early) so maybe we can get together Monday night.