Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driving light selection

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Oct 27, 2003.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at what kind of lights I want to get and need some help. I want 2 sets of lights on the roof rack and 1 set of fog lights on the bumper. On the roof, I want one set of spot-light beam driving lights pointed straight forward and one set of more flood type beams pointed off the corners to illuminate the area and one straight up flood light on each side and the rear. Then one set of foglights on the bumper.

Now here's what I need, model recomendations. What brands/models will fit these criteria? Hella 550's seem to be very popular, what kind of beam do they produce? Price needs to be reasonable. Thx

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Hella's are nice lights for the front bumper. They don't cost too much, have a nice bright flat (in the case of the fog lights) beam, and are legal to have uncovered because they are 55W. The only real down side is the plastic housing. For on the roof something with a steel housing that can withstand overhead branches is what you need. You also don't have to worry about the 55W thing becasue anything above your hood line has to have a cover on it when on-road. I would say go with some KC's up top. I think they have flood light as well for the sides and back.

Whatever you do get round lights. Because of the reflector design they are noticably brighter than the same rectangular light.