Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driving on a Titerope

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dmanblazer, Jan 15, 2005.

1. dmanblazer

dmanblazer 1/2 ton status

I just started driving my '79 K5 after putting a 4" lift on it ( springs front/blocks rear ), and it seems like I'm driving on a titerope. I bought the lift used from an "82 Blazer, I used the complete frontend ( 10 bolt corperate ), and just the springs and blocks on the rear, the shocks are Rancho RS 5000s that came with the lift. The only thing different I did was, the donor K5 had the Z something package, I can't remember the package number, but it had dual front shocks, and my K5 doesn't have the extra bracket or hole in the frame so I just left one off on each side. I took it to get aligned at midas and they said my right side ball joints were bad and my left side had a little slop in them but not much, so I replaced the right side and did nothing to the left. The spring hanger bolts on both trucks had to be cut off so in their place I put grade 8 bolts as close to the same diameter as I could but they are still a little small. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem is? This is my families only means of transportation since our Trans Am was stolen and I need to get it fixed. Thanks, Jeff

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "tightrope"????

Is it wobbly, topheavy, vague steering????

Some better details about the symptoms will probably get you the answers you need.

:)

3. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Maybe you just need a longer balancing pole.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well for starters remove the front shocks and get a single unit meant for single apps . I believe the dual shocks together equal one shocks . The reason for dual shocks is to prevent shock fade :k5: :k5:

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I have never driven on a tight rope before. How's that feel? :grin:

6. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Probably like death wobble and bumpsteer!!

7. dmanblazer

When I'm going straight down the road it does fine but if I move the wheel left or right just a little bit it feels like it wants to wander like it oversteers.:confused:

8. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Did you use any type of steering correction. Raised steering arm, dropped pitman arm, or drop drag link?

9. dmanblazer

Dropped pitman arm

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

what size tires are you running?

The spring bolts should be 9/16" all the way around except the front shackle bolts should be 7/16" (1/2" on updated models). To be close you either have some goofey metric bolt (14MM won't fit and 13MM is nearly 1/2") or a 1/2" bolt in the springs. This is hardly close in size. You need to go the the hardware store and get yourself the correct size bolts (grade 8).

11. dmanblazer

Well I put the correct rancho's ( # RS 5001 ), but I'm just now going to test drive it

12. dmanblazer

Well it helped a little, but I know that one of my back shocks is bad so I'll change them next week. What is the best bushing kit to buy nowdays? I would like to replace every bushing and body mount on the truck.