Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driving over the POS tin fenders?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Apr 7, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Ok so Dan just bought a trailer to get his rockcrawler to the trail. He got an 18'er with brakes on one axle, treated wood deck, slide in ramps, and bulldog coupler. Only thing he wanted that would have upped the price another $500 was 10g treadplate fenders. It has the rolled 16 gauge junk. Has anybody here modified these fenders or created some sort of guards to where they could drive over? This trailer is 83" in between the fenders and his K5 is 87" wide at the bulge with 42" swampers. Thanks! We've got the Midwest K5 thing run on Thursday and dont want to crush the thing in the driveway! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Bryan

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

take the fenders of and weld a piece of squre tube to the front and back of the fenders at the level of the top of the frame. Then weld another larger piece of square tube to the frame (large enough for the other tube to fit inside). Drill both pieces of tubing to run a pin through. You now have removable fenders. Drive ove rthe tires, slide the fenders in, put the pin in and walah!!! Go have fun...

John

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Do like implement trailers and have a hump built in.
    Make a ramp out of heavy steel and bolt/weld to the trailer. He would just pull up, drive over it like a speed bump and stop when you far enough on the trailer. I know when I brought my stocker home, it squeeked onto the trailer in between the fenders.
    You could make the hump in the middle go all the way across and put a door in the top and make storage. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]
    Like this but make the fenders go under the truck. Only bad thing I see is that it would be hard to move cars around. Most trucks should clear it though. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif