Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driving the Alcan in October

Discussion in 'North Region' started by BlazerFarm, Aug 29, 2005.

1. BlazerFarm

BlazerFarm Texagonian Premium Member

Well, my on again, off again transfer to Anchorage looks like it's on again. When it was on for June I thought, "no problem, driving the Alcan in Summer should be cake". Now that I'd be doing it in mid-October I'm not so sure. So I was wondering how bad driving gets on the Alcan Hwy as Winter is starting. I've heard that a some of the gas stations and hotels aren't open year around.

I'd be driving by myself in an '06 F250 4x4 PSD with a trailer hauling a Blazer on the back. I'm not an experienced snow driver although I've driven in it some. Hell, I've lived in TX, AR, SC, OK, Seattle, and Portland, not exactly much snow to practice in. Would it even be snowing yet that early?

Thanks,
    --Don

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  2. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

you will be in snow can almost garantee that.biggest thing is to slow down.look me up when you get up here. 907 770-9034 or 907 350-5262 mike.
    check out www.alaska4x4network.com that is the local 4x4 board. drive safe.

3. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Have atleast 35 extra gallons of fuel or enough to carry you 200 miles if needed.
    Take yer time. There will definately be snow, not sure when business start to shut down but one good reference book is called the "MilePost"...Covers traveling between canada and alaska.

4. BlazerFarm

I definitely will look you up if my company will get off their butts and make a decision. I have already been checking out the different Alaska 4x4 sites. Man, lots of Jeeps. That's not a problem but are fullsizes kind of rare on the trails up there?

5. BlazerFarm

Well it looks like they will pay to ship two of my vehicles so I may not have to drive it this close to winter, again, if they will make up their minds and tell me if I'm going or not.

I'd still have to FFL ship the guns since they won't pay for "non-standard" household items like firearms.

Now, what to do with the other 3! Blazers I own but don't run.

6. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

yup full sizes are real rare for a dedicated wheeler up here and most are broncos.lol the jeeps tend to fit the trails better with all the brush but if you dont mind alaska pinstripeing then run a full size.i like the room i have in the jimmy but can see the advantages of the jeeps at times.

7. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Trails can become tight at times, tight steering and short wheelbase are quite advantageous. Less vehicle weight helps as well.