Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driving to the dunes...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by supersize75k5, Nov 21, 2005.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

well im crazy I guess but I am taking my 75 to the dunes, and im crazy enough to drive it :crazy:

to make things more interesting my dad agreed to ride with me :eek1:

so I cant have any crazy issues... any tips advise ect?

so far I have been going ove rthe whole truck and trying to do everything right, we plan on camping near some friends in a tent,

any advice? Ive never been to the dunes :o

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Low tire pressure is your best friend. Last time i had my Toy out on the dunes i almost got to the point where i was going to pull the valvestems. 3psi front and low enough my gauge wouldnt read rear seemed to work best for me. I needed to get enough contact patch with skinny tires to keep my truck floating on the sand, even with all the work i did to the motor it didnt have anywhere near the power to keep the tires turning once they started digging.

Oh, i wouldnt recomend jumping it when you dont know what the top or other side of the dune looks like, i planted my truck nose first in another small dune(the top of the dune had like a ditch in it, with a secondary hill that i plowed head first into) so hard it stopped the truck dead, i never did that again for the rest of the trip.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

knowing your foot and your deal making ability, dont get your a$$ kicked in front of pops and dont blow yet another engine.... :haha:

do have fun and be safe though.
    Grant

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

What dunes are you going to and when?

5. AZPiNsTrIpEd

AZPiNsTrIpEd 1/2 ton status

Bring a gun :D

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Put your rigs in a wagon circle (like the olden days). People get drunk and haul ass everywhere out there. Don't do anything stupid at all cause the air evac usually has a waiting list this weekend (really it does). If you go to the drags expect it to take arond 2 hours to leave, and expect to be breathing pure exhaust for that whole time. It is usually windy this time of year and sand gets every where.

It is awsome, but chaos depending on where you are going. (glamis, buttercup, gordons well). There are $80,000+ sand cars everywhere and nothing is too fast. The sand drags have a portable sun (the ball park lights on a trailer ones) and are all about the spectators.

It's all about the wheelie (you will see what I mean)

The most humbling part...

your chit aint nothing when a $120,000 tatum rail smokes an LS1 with NOS past you doing 60+ over 3 foot whoops with 5 people inside.

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

im hoping to make it to glamis this year for t-day with my samurai buggy, all depends if i can borrow a tow rig.

8. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

well...

I had the motor all apart about 4 hours before we left, got the whole truck in proper working order, new cooling, fuel, brakes, ignition, wiring, elec fan, u-joints, bla bla bla

basicly spent the time to "un-getto" the thing I had rushed.

we loaded up, threw an extra apare on top, and then proceded to blow a seal on the front of the pan on the freeway! took over 5 coarts of oil to limp it home :(

then went to discount tire, threw on two new mud terains so I had all bran new tires and mounted the wip and left, we got there and had a great time. Camped at buttercup, went to the drags and got to ride in a friends dads twin turbo ls2, its one of the first to be twin turbo too! :bow:

also got to check out some really cool rails, I didnt see any crazy party girls, but I also didnt go to glamis.

the second day I made a error while learning how to drive the dunes and proceeded to roll multiple times with my dad in the jeep when I transitioned from one dune to the other.

rolled pretty bad in the jeep and the roof caved in and lost a side window, the front windshild and put a dent on any strait peice of sheet metal left :doah:

ill post pics on thursday or tonight if I can.

lost my phone and ipod in the sand..other then my error the jeep kicked ass in the sand and went everywhere, I was told though that the dunes at glamis are way bigger then the ones at buttercup.

I plan to go to glamis for new years, :D