Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driving w/o driveshaft with a slip-yoke t-case

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fubeca, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I am trying to track down a vibration and I wanted to drive around without my rear driveshaft. The problem is I have a NP241 and a slipyoke. So I went down to the plumber's supply and bought a 3" to 2" rubber reducer and a plug. I cut a little triangle out of the 3" end so that it could compress to the size of the t-case output, and slapped it up there. I drove it about 30 miles today and no leaks. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Thats a pretty good idea for those of us with 208/241 t-cases, we could carry that on the trail incase we trash a d-shaft. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    That would be a good trail fix. Send that one in to 4 wheel & offroad to go in that little "cheap fix" thing that they sometimes have in there /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I have to admit that is a lot better than my plastic cup and bunch of electrical tape method. That didn't leak on me, but I can't say that I would like to drive a great distance.

The only bad thing is the taper of the tailshaft, which makes it harder to get a hose clamp to stay put.

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I guess that's the nice thing about the 241 -- the tailhousing doesn't taper much.

6. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

very cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Wow! I'm making one of these and putting it in my tool box! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I just put the supplies on my shopping list. Great tip!! I also think you should send it in to the magazines. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Great, now I gotta buy more sh!t to go in my trail box! Thanks a lot! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif<---hey, new smiley!

11. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

That is awesome! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif So what was the verdict? Did it vibrate or what?

12. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Verdict is yes, the driveshaft does vibrate. But I also have another vibration at speed. I can't figure it out. It isn't the tires cause it happens with three different sets of tires and wheels. I think it might be the drums? It started after I installed the 14B and the D60. I'm really ticked and I have to drive it 1300 miles in two weeks /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif. Plus my transmission just took one more giant leap toward its death. This has just not been my week.