Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driving with hubs in lock postion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazerjake86, Dec 19, 2003.

1. blazerjake86

blazerjake86 Registered Member

ok i was wondering if I will mess something up if i keep my hubs in the lock postion? the reason i am asking is that the weather is getting bad here now and my 86 has manual hubs i was wondering if i would mess something up if i go ahead and lock them in. I have heard that it does nopt matter. thanks jake

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Nope, it shouldn't hurt anything. It may affect your gas mileage and may cause a little more wear on parts but that's it. Whenever the snow starts to fly I lock the hubs in and leave the t-case in 2-HI until I need 4wd. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

you want to unlock them you truck will bind up if you drive like that and it wears everything out faster... If they wernt meet to be unlocked they would be like a rear FF. If you really dont want to get out then get a set of auto hubs for the winter and keep them cleaned and greesed

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

run it locked. Those axles came on full time 4wd rigs. they can handle constant use. Heck a stock blazer off the showroom floor with a 203 was expected to do 60+ mph. Ya it wears out the bearings in the diff a little faster (replace in 5 rears instead of 7) I am no athority on cold weather driveing but run em locked. grease your bearings, check your diff fluid and t-case. your set. Have fun be safe. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

an '86 would be fine to run with hubs locked on all time, as long as you dont go with 4lo on pavement! 4hi would be ok as long as all four tires are 100% identical and as long as balljoints and such are in good shape!

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I'm with Beast388 on this one. Once the snow flies I lock em in until spring rolls around or I have to go on the highway for a long ways. I would leave them locked in on the highway as well except for a long drive then I want the mileage back. You probably won't even notice the parts wearing out quicker. Very small amount of extra wear in my opinion as long as your fluids are full and such... I think everybody in northern Iowa drives them like that.

7. blazerjake86

thanks for all yopur help i was going to go four wheelin tonight but found a problem i have a bad oil leak on the right side of the motor towards the back. my oil pressure reads 50 when i drive still and about 35 in park or idle i think it is the oil sendind unit. Is this correct i changed the rear main seal about 8 months ago. thanks again

8. cybrfire

I think ususally an oil leak from the sending unit would run down the motor on to the drivers side of the transmission bell housing and then onto the ground. Could easy be a valve cover leaking or maybe the distributor gasket. Who knows??? On my daily driver I begin to think something is wrong when there isn't a drip or two in the driveway. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. blazerjake86

hahaha me too it is like if nothing is wrong then something is wrong

10. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was asking about this on another thread, but do you guys notice any difference in handling with the hubs locked at highway speeds? Mine seems to wander a lot more, but it might be that I have an LSD up there. Do you guys all have open front diffs? I don't really notice it except when it's slippery, which points to the LSD I think.

11. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well only thing i notice in my rigs whith hbubs locked is a little more stiffness to the wheel. It just feels like it might be dragging, that and the millage loss are the only realy things youll notice.

12. velocitiii

velocitiii Registered Member

With the hubs locked your driving all those bearings and gears and this would help turn any play into a toe-out condition which will "wander" more. The tighter your steering joints and ball joints are the less efect this would have.

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Back when I lived in OH my hubs stayed locked for about 3 months of the year. As long as something isn't broke/worn out you've got no worries. Notice where the guy who said not to was from?

14. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have Auburn Pro at both ends...I drove from Hot Springs to Dallas hubs locked in 4hi...the front binds a bit in tight turns, and you can hear the Auburn chatter some...but my rear does that all the time...my truck drives straight and easy at 75...I'd guess the wander is from worn parts, badly worn tires (radial pull), or very deep offset rims (like on some ricers)...

15. cybrfire

Floridians.... Hey, it gets damn cold up here. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    With the hubs locked your driving all those bearings and gears and this would help turn any play into a toe-out condition which will "wander" more. The tighter your steering joints and ball joints are the less efect this would have.

[/ QUOTE ]

I responded on the other thread, but one other thing struck me. When I'm in 4-wheel drive under load, I occasionally hear a groaning sound from up front someplace. This is only ever in 4 wheel drive. I figure that something is worn, but I'm not sure what. Do you have any idea? My best guess is U-joints, which I don't think would affect steering, but maybe it's something else.

Thanks.

17. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There's quite a bit of misinformation in this thread. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    you want to unlock them you truck will bind up if you drive like that and it wears everything out faster...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Locking the front hubs on pavement doesn't cause binding, as long the transfer case is in 2WD. Driveline binding occurs when the t-case (with no center diff) is in 4WD on pavement. The front and rear tires follow different paths when turning a corner, causing them to travel different distances. This means that the driveshafts also need to spin at different speeds. However, since the t-case has both driveshafts locked together, they can't spin at different speeds and the drivetrain starts binding up. But leave the t-case in 2WD and the only thing you'll notice is that the truck seems a tad slower in accelleration and that there's some extra noise and vibration under the truck at highway speeds from the frint driveshaft spinning.

A well maintained axle/diff assembly can easily go 200K+ miles, so don't worry about "extra wear".

[ QUOTE ]
    an '86 would be fine to run with hubs locked on all time, as long as you dont go with 4lo on pavement! 4hi would be ok as long as all four tires are 100% identical and as long as balljoints and such are in good shape!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, even with tires that are identical in size and inflated to the exact same pressure, the drivetrain will still bind up in 4WD (with no center diff) the first time you turn a corner. (See explanation above) The effect is VERY pronounced. It suddenly feels as if someone has stepped on the brake pedal while you're driving. If you keep going, the truck will start bucking and the tires chirping as the stress relieves itself. Get a bit too much traction and something under your truck will break from the stress. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Back to the original question... Yes, you can leave the front hubs locked and drive around in 2WD. When I lived in Massachusetts I would leave the hubs locked in for most of the winter so I could just shift from 2Hi to 4Hi on the fly. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The only time you would notice any strange behavior is if there's a limited slip of some type up front, which would be trying to force both front tires to rotate at the same speed.