Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driving with out doors.

Discussion in 'New England Region' started by Chrisblazzer89, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

I know I know its been covered. But the thing is i yet to have seen it covered in New England. Can we or can't we drive our K5s without doors?
    I just did the quick release hinge pins on my truck and want to know if i can ride free of cops? If it helps I will still have mirrors on both sides and also have a lip on my floors like on a heep and will most likely have seat belts or a 5 point harness.

Thanx in advance.

2. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've seen Jeeps without doors quite often in the summer, but I don't know about a K5...

3. Chrisblazzer89

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

You should probably just call the police department and ask. If they say you can't, ask to see the law that applies. If they say you can, be sure to remember the cops name who told you.

5. Chrisblazzer89

Should I call Safety, traffic, or the non-Emergency number to get this info?

6. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

just take them off, and go drive around....you`ll get your answer eventually.:rolleyes:

7. Chrisblazzer89

Ok I will Ben aslong as you pay the ticket if i get one:D

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The primary difference between the Jeeps and the Blazer is that they have a small lip near the rocker panel to keep debris from falling out the door openings (soda cans, hamburger wrappers, etc).... cops may not like that.

To be within the law, even the Jeep guys need to mount side mirrors when they pull the doors off, so you should expect to have to solve that same problem on the K5.

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

a friend of mine went to a big jeep thing one year. all his friends told him keep the doors on or you will get pulled and a ticket in one state cant recall state. so he pulled them as he knows the loop hole.

cop pulled him. do you know why i pulled you? yes sir i do. no dorrs right? yes sir. well i have a vary good reason i can do this he told the cop. he pulled his factory order/build sheet out of the glove box and said in this state if the parts of the vehicle in question is factory optinal then its o.k. to run with out it.

his custom built jeep to his specs had doors optinal with the part # he wanted. so those few words on a sheet saved him a ticket.

i would call non emergecy # of the locals/ countys / and state police and ask all of them and also write down the officers name and badg # and the time and date you asked them so if there is a problem you will have it covered.

10. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I drove my '75 Blazer doorless and topless for a whole summer here in Ohio back in '99. Gosh I wish I had pictures of that. I never got pulled over and didn't mount any extra mirrors. Looking back I always wondered if it was illegal but never cared to find out :thinking:

The only reason I took them off to begin with is because the underside was rotted out and the body would flex all over the place and it got to the point where opening and closing the doors was just a big pain in the a$$.

11. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Some kind of "real" answer about this would be great to know.

I drove around last summer without doors myself but KNOWING if I was legal would be nice.

What about tube doors, do they count?
    Or does the inner lip thing come into play?

12. Chrisblazzer89

I havent got an answer yet but im just gonna make half doors.

13. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Good Idea.

I started mine about 2 years ago, mabey I will finish them before I get out of wheeling.