Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driving without doors in CA?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, Feb 10, 2006.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Can I drive my Blazer without doors in California? Does anybody know?

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

I believe you need to have some sort of lip so that stuff cannot roll out the door (like a heep)

3. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

I do it. I believe you do need some kind of lip like stated already, but I don't have one. No top no doors no tailgate no crap from the cops.

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

With seat belts, shouldn't be anybody elses biz. Flash on a motorcycle.:D

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The short answer is, don't piss off a cop.

Long answer is that the CVC says you can't modify your vehicle's body "substantially", and doesn't spell out what substantially is. In general, if an older vehicle came equipped a certain way (no shoulder belts, i.e. lap only, etc) you are grandfathered to keep it that way.

How many Jeeps and Toyota FJ's and Scouts do you see doorless? Lots. Did they come that way? No. (Well, except for a few EB's and Scouts, but that's nitpicking.)

I think the CVC would only be called upon by the responding officer if you do something catastrophically stupid (passenger thrown out and not wearing seatbelt), at which point you have more things to worry about (like your buddy's funeral :( ) ... or if you give the cop attitude during a pullover. As long as your lights and other safety equipment are in good order and you are respectful of them and the *spirit* of the law, my experience has been that LEO's will not dig deep enough to find issues within the letter of it.

That said, if you or other Californians want to see the CVC for yourself, which can be useful, it is located here:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc.htm

I went round-and-round with the DMV over a tow dolly... they are, in CA, NOT, contrary to popular belief, a "trailer", and have an entirely special case in the CVC dedicated to them. Optionally. :eek1: On my last trip I went down with the relevant sections printed out, but I got the ONE guy who must understand the difference, so I didn't need them. We had a good chat, and all worked out.

HTH.

Oh, and no, I'm not a cop or anything, just a nerd with a truck habit :haha:

-- A