Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drooling at the junkyard....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, Apr 14, 2005.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Went to one of my favorite junkyards yesterday--looked for a set of unbroken cupholders for my 95 Contour--only had 15 of those cars in the yard!--3 actually were identical,V6,same color,etc! :blush: finally found one that still had functional cupholders,they must be a hot item--cost me a whopping 5 bucks...but after I found them,I walked over to the truck section..

All the 6.2 trucks that were there a month go are GONE!--only 1 new diesel arrival,looked a lot like my 82 K20,propped up on another truck--looks like the 14 bolt is getting ready to go to a new owner..I wish I could find theese trucks before they hit the junkyards--many of them look as good or better than what I'm driving! :screwy:

They cleaned house on most of the 73-87 trucks,they had 40+ a month ago--now there is only a dozen or so left--I guess anything with any weight went to the crusher--a huge pile of transfer cases as big as a school bus have dissapeared--many NP205's were among them--all gone now.. :frown1:

Then I saw a chassis with only a motor,tranny,and rear end(dual wheels)--upon closer inspection,I realized it was a Fed Ex step van,they peeled off the entire aluminum body and evidently scrapped it...then I look at the motor--
    A CUMMINS 4BT TURBO DIESEL--with a TH400!--and a 14 bolt FF rear with brand new leaf springs,still had the tags on them!--and 19.5 inch wheels with like new tires,and I thought it was strange they had the regular 8 lug bolt pattern(I wonder if you could bolt them on a pickup--instant lift kit! :cool1: )

The only damage to the motor was the intake was broken off where the aircleaner was likely attached,the probably ripped it off when they took off the body with the forkloader--didnt look like a big deal to fix-I found a side mirror on the ground and placed it over the open hole so rain wont get in- :mad: -one thing that puzzled me was it had the motor mounted straight up and down,not tilted!--it did have a thin adapter plate between the tranny and motor,the TH400 also had a "rebuilt" sticker on it--I thought"what a score for someone who wants to do a diesel conversion!"...I left quickly,without asking about it--before that "someone" was ME!! :blush:

Oh,that late 80's K30 4x4 with the Dana 60 is still sitting there,it was moved from the parking lot to way down back where the step-van was--but its near a big pile of scrap,I would not doubt if its going to the shredder soon!--has a nice plow frame and many other good parts--its a sin what gets junked around here... :(

.I need to stay away from the junkyards!--I get very bummed out to see them scrapping all the "good stuff"--to make room for more late model tupperware cars that no one bothers to fix...makes me sick! :crazy: I wish I had he cash to buy all theese "goodies" and either use them or re-sell them,rather than see them sit out in the weather until they ARE junk,then scrap it--rather see someone get some use out of the stuff!. :crazy:

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Dang, I need to find some yards like that! I bet you could sell that 4bt/th400 combo pretty easily on here if you didn't mind shipping it!!!! Or keep it for yourself! :D

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

yeah, find out how much they want for that 4bt. i wouldnt be surprised if they wanted tons of money for it, though.

the junkyard i bought my D60 front from, for $150, wanted to charge me $1200 for a running 454 from a bookmobile :confused:

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Price is hard to determine...

I hear ya on the big block!--thats the going rate for a decent 454 here,IF you ever see one!--I saw a big block lying on the ground yesterday at the same place the step-van chassis was--it had a huge 5 speed clark tranny or some other similar ingot attached to it--wasn't a SM465,I know that for sure!--Its probably a 366 out of one of the many school busses they stored parts in for years,and now that scap is up,anything heavy is getting yanked out and sent to the crusher..

.I didnt bother to ask about it,they would sell it for slighty more than scrap price if its in fact a 366 most likely..--I still would not mind having it,it still LOOKS like a 454!--Bling factor alone is a plus with a BBC...more than a few hot rods here have 366's,not 454's(ssshhhh!)--since not many 454's are around for reasonable money here...

I dont know if the step van with the diesel is for sale,sold,about to get scrapped,or what--this yard is kinda disorganized,and the price changes according to who your asking many times--a father and son own it ,and both give different prices on the same part!--but they usually give me decent deals,I cant complain--I dont know how much that cummins motor would sell for--my gut feeling is you could wheel the whole chassis out of there for less than a grand,maybe a lot less if the motor needs work!..a great deal for someone wanting to re-power a dually,it had a rebuilt TH400 and brand new springs on the 14 bolt FF rear too!--makes me wonder why whoever scrapped it did so!... :screwy:

5. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

If ya see something good, grab it. Around here all the yards are cleaning house because of the price of steel. They are making more money selling steel scrap, then having it sit around in the yard waiting for guys like us. I was surprised to see the ground last time I was at the yard a couple weeks ago. 3/4 of the yard was cleared out and it is normally stacked full. Sounds like the same thing happened at your yard.