Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drop drag link, or drop pitman arm?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 19, 2002.

I am lifint my truck another 4" and I was wonder until I go crossover, what is better to correct my steering? The drop drang link or the drop pitman arm. The drag links are going for about $120 vs. $60 for a drop pitman arm, so if it's not going to make a difference then I save some money and get the pitman arm. Also how hard is it to remove the pitman arm from the steering box? Thanks

1. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

If you plan on putting a crossover on then I would definitly save your $60 and put on a drop pitman arm. That would put you closer to a crossover./forums/images/icons/smile.gif Now if your going to wait for a year or so for the crossover then I would probably spend the money and get the drag link. With the drag link you will get a little more articulation then you would with a drop arm. As far as changing the drag link it is very simple. Just use a ball joint seperater (think thats what its called) and knock it off.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are NOT doing the crossover steering, and just the factory setup, just get the 4" raised steering arm for around $50.

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I think from what you are saying you are going another 4" to give a total of 8" correct? With that much lift you might as well do crossover and be done with it. Also with that much lift there are going to be alot of other issues to fix. Driveshaft length, pinion angle, brake lines are just a few things that might need changed. For just a temp. deal I would try the pitman arm and then see if you need anything else.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

A bent drag link is useless in dealing with bump steer issues. It has exactly one purpose for the short drag link (clearance is another potential use in cross over). That singular use is for correcting angles at the drag link ball joints. That's it. For the best steering characteristics what you want is a straight line between the two ball ends that is perfectly horizontal (level to the ground) and the ball ends positioned so that the cups do not bind on the pin at any point in the axle's movement. You could twist the drag link into a pretzel and, as long as it is rigid, it would make no difference to bump steer. So, for the best solution with a stock setup (short link on the driver's side) use a drop pitman and/or a raised arm to get the straight drag link horizontal.

BTW, a drop pitman now will be no use in a cross over later. The pitman arm off a 4WD box will not fit the 2WD box required for the cross over.

5. When going to 8" I am aware that the driveshafts are going to need lenghtining, the brake line might not be long enough, and my pinion angle is going to be off. I can correct my pinion angle with angled wedges right? I really dont want to move my spring perches. My friend has a 10" lift and he did'nt move his, to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for your help.

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

You should be ok to use shimms.

7. barbastard

barbastard 1/2 ton status

just for the record the item you described here:

"As far as changing the drag link it is very simple. Just use a ball joint seperater (think thats what its called) and knock it off. "

is called a "pickle fork"...at least that's what I've always called it.

just for inquiring minds....not then anyone really gives a rats ass....

later..

Barbastard

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

a pickle fork usually damages something
    there is a clamp type that doesnt
    or BFH on the side of the female end(not the rod end) and they usually pop out