Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drop drag link vs. raised steering arm

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PDBlazer, Jan 3, 2004.

1. PDBlazer

PDBlazer Newbie

My truck is a 1989 Jimmy (full size) with 6" of suspension lift and 35" tires. I currently have a 4" drop drag link with completely worn out rod ends. With much help from a local auto parts supplier, I have had no luck in obtaining the correct rod ends to replace these. This drop link was on the truck when I bought it, so I'm not sure of the manufacturer. It appears to share thread sise with the stock pieces (right hand for both).

After doing several searches on older posts, it appears that I may have to buy these from the manufacturer, whomever that is. I also found that most feel that the drop drag links are junk. This appears to be a heavy piece, but I have only owned the truck a very short time.

My questions are:

1. Is these a difference in size/shape between manufacturers rod ends. If so. I'm outta luck here I guess.

2. Is a raised steering arm with the stock drag link pieces a better set up?

This is my first post (that I can remember), though I've been floating around these boards for some time. Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

2. Is a raised steering arm with the stock drag link pieces a better set up?

[/ QUOTE ] I have a 6" lift and 3" body with a 4" steering arm with the stock drag link and I have no steering problems what so ever on and off road. I have never experienced the can't turn to the left thing and on road I get no bump steer at all but I have a dual steering stabilizer and thats with wide ass heavy boggers too.

[ QUOTE ]
    This is my first post (that I can remember), though I've been floating around these boards for some time. Thanks for any help you can provide.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Welcome, time to go orange! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif