Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"drop in" locker

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevBlazin, May 8, 2002.

1. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

\"drop in\" locker

There is a post on now about Detroits v.s lock rights. What type of locker, if any, can be put in an axle with out removing the carrier? I have a rear 12 bolt w/ 3.73 gears and running 35's. Can I keep the axle alive with a locker? I dont off road much and what I do is light (for now at least). If there is a locker I can instal without removing the carrier I might consider it, but dont want to pay to have my gears re-set if I remove the carrier. Any help?

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Re: \"drop in\" locker

You won't have to have your gears setup again if you pull out the carrier and put the same carrier back in and take note of which shims go where. There are a ton of drop-in lockers for 12 bolts : ez-locker, lock rite, quick lok... If you don't wheel a lot do you really need a locker? Remember they will make your onroad driving characteristics different. You can definately make the 12 bolt survive with your 35''s but if you want to build it to its fullest potential and don't wanna go to a 14 bolt you might wanna look into a detroit locker. Personally I am looking into a lock-rite for my 12bolt w/4.56's and 35''s