Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drop in type locker for Dana 60??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SCOOBYDANNN, Feb 14, 2002.

1. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Is there one out there and is it worth a look? from what i understand is most drop-in type lockers, the factory carrier is the weak link---a 60 carrier is pretty stout--no? what about a mini spool? I REALLY dont want to mess w/ the gears but if i have to do i have to redo everything or just the backlash?--this is why i want to do a drop in type thing.

Sun Desert Offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

83 Chevy, 350, sm465, lincoln locked14ff, (dana 60,4.56's, sometime soon flatbed,and 39.5" TSL's)

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The application chart here: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.reiderracing.com/ap_chart.htm>http://www.reiderracing.com/ap_chart.htm</a> shows a Lock-Right and a NoSlip available for the 60. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Danny,

As you know, I don't have a 60.... but I wouldn't be afraid of a Lock Rite in the front.... I think it'd be way better than a "welded" or "spool"...

Marv

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I would look into the "no slip" (I think that's what they call it) from powertrax, it's synchronized Lock Rite basically and seems to work pretty well. I wouldn't mind a drop in locker in the front, I ran a lock rite and other than general locker grumpiness it worked well. In a D60 you seem to have a good bit of strength margin to make it work. I've seen a couple rigs flogged hard with 44" tires and didn't SEEM to hurt the locker. It may have fallen out later but at the time they kept going. And I know a couple guys running them with 38's and having good luck with them.
    I would NOT recommend a spool or welded, at least not for the terrain here. It's too hard of a surface a lot of times, you'd never get it to turn. I've been places I left my ARB locked all day and didn't mind but that's not normal for me.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I recently realized that the D60 front that I THOUGHT was locked, isn't. Must have had the tcase in gear when I checked it. Eventually I pulled the cover, no such luck, totally open. Anyway, I called around and sent email to different inset manufacturers that support D60s. They all said no way would they hold up to anything larger than 37-38 tires, and there is no warranty if you use it with tires over 35". Now, I know they are covering their tails here but, I've decided not to put one in with my 42s. I just don't need the trouble. For now, I'll run it open, at least till I get the hydro assist in (heck, I can hardly turn the thing setting still now, even with the hubs unlocked). After that, I guess I'll finally be learning how to setup the gears. Maybe I'll go 5.13 at the same time...

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

The way I look(ed) at it, when you spend the money on a front 60, you do so for a reason. You are tired of breaking crap every time you go wheeling. Yes, Detroits are more $ than lunch box lockers. But for me the added security was worth a couple hundred more. Plus, if you're regearing anyway, you already have to setup the gears. If you're reusing the old gears, you only have to set the backlash (not the pinion depth). Even if the drop-ins have a warranty, what good is it in the middle of nowhere? They're not gonna send a chopper to air lift your rig out of there.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

DONT DO A MINI SPOOL. I just broke one in my 12 bolt rear. They dont hold up to any side load.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

8. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

I've had a lockright in my 60 for over 5 years now, so far so good. It's survived quite a bit of water filled gear oil, &amp; even a stub axle letting go.
    I am planning on a ARB in the near future though, I put one in the rear &amp; I'm spoiled now.

My Ford has chevy parts! it's all good!