Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drop (lowering) shackles for lift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SkulzNBonz, Jul 24, 2002.

1. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Ever seen the drop shackles for the rear axle? In a shackle flip configuration, couldn't you use the drop shackle to gain even more lift than the standard 4 inches you gain re-using your stock shackles? Thought I'd bounce this idea off y'all.

John

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Sure you can John. Depdog has/had them on his truck. The only thing to worry about would be the further change in pinion angle. If you just need a little more lift to fix a saggy tail prb. then I've got a set of 1" blocks I can sell you to pull it up a little. I was running them at Disney this year. They worked great, but my rear springs are so shot, it's already sitting tail low again /forums/images/icons/mad.gif Gonna rebuild the spring pack with several otherss I've got laying around to try and fix it.

3. SkulzNBonz

Thanks Kyle. I just completed a shackle flip last month on my truck and everything is okie dokie. I think the previous owner had put new springs on the rear, because I haven't had the dreaded "saggy butt" syndrome. Plus, I have a good amount of 1" bar stock at the house that I am going to use to fab some add-a-leafs. A friend of mine dropped by and had a set of those drop sahckles he was going to use on his Suburban, and I wasn't quite sure if they would handle the abuse, so I wanted some feedback. Thanks again.

John

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Good deal. I'm pretty sure Dep bent one of his dropping off onto a ledge, but I would imagine that they would hold up alright. On a Sub, there is less concearn with the pinion coming up a little more, since the case is about 1.3 miles from the rearend. It still needs to be taken into consideration though.

5. SkulzNBonz

Yeah, but I didn't mention this particular 'burban is sitting on 2 1/2 ton Rockwells w/ a 2 1/2 ton t-case, about 18" of lift, and 48" tall tires. Pinion angles are not even a consideration anymore! I keep trying to talk him to going to Disney to crawl some rocks, but he prefers that sloppy ol' mud!

John

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

LOL, yea, that would make a differnce

7. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

hey skulznbonz

If you are going to make an add-a-leaf out of your 1" bar stock, maybe you could move the axle back while your at it to center it in the wheelwell. Just a thought.

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

If he lets me spot for him again, He'll need to be running 38's just to fill all the sheetmetal he's gotta cut out. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif let alone centering the tire.

9. SkulzNBonz

I've studied the ORD add-a leafs, and have considered moving the axle to center. What else is this going to effect (drive line, steering, etc). My truck is definately a "budget builder". That's why I am going to fab as much of my own stuff as I can. What are the advantages/disadvantages of relocating the axle?

To reply to Kyle and the 38" tires; That ain't FUNNY!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Seriously, though, I might let you practice your spotting skills on me if I survey the area thouroughly first! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

John

10. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Moving the rear axle back is only going to affect driveline length and maybe pinion angle. It will also extend your wheelbase a lil and center the wheels in the wheel well which may result in less fender cutting, all of this depending on what kind of setup you are going for. I can't really think of any disadvantages, but mine is still stock at the moment, but am thinking about moving my axles when its lift time. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I wouldn't think moving the rear axle back would affect steering, but i have no idea, maybe some of the guys who have done this can help ya out. Moving the front axle forward will center the axle in the wheelwell and may eliminate some fender trimming. Stephen of ORD told me that you would need enough adjustment in your drag link, or get another, to help correct steering linkage. Anywho, hope this helps.