Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drop pitman arm or drop drag link?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chris_T, May 4, 2002.

1. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I've got a 6" lift in my first gen Blazer. I have a 4" steering arm already on the axle. I need to replace the drag link anyway, so I'm wondering if I should go with a drop drag link or if I should get a drop pitman arm instead. Who has used what and which one would you choose?

Chris

2. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

i had a 6" and only needed the arm, it worked good. i have used both the pitman drop and the bent drag link. if you do need more, then i would go with the pitman arm. i will never use the bent drag link again!!!!! i haven't heard to much good talk about these from other people that have also used them.
    hope this help's...

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would jsut stick w/ the way you have it. If you put a drop pitman arm on I bet you would gain some bump steer too. I don't really like bent draglinks because you have to remove one end to adjust it. The only reason to use a bent draglink is if you are maxing out the draglink ends....
    Just get some Moog ends and call it good (maybe a fresh coat of paint too/forums/images/icons/cool.gif)

4. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Fresh coat of paint? I love primer gray! Or did you mean the drag link? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I paint the body with mud/forums/images/icons/cool.gif and averything under the truck w/ black rust-o-lem or hammerite...everything that gets taken off goes back on w/ some new paint.

6. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

No one else? Someone has to have one of these that they have an opinion on

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I ran a 6" lift once. I also had the 4" steering arm and the 2" drop pitman arm. Ran like a charm.

If you do decide to put new ends on the draglink, dab some anti-seize on the threads to help in making adjustments easier. If you don't coat them, they will rust and will be hard to adjust later. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

as with the others i'm running a 6" lift with just the steering arm and it work fine for me !!!!

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

perhaps a picture of your draglink angle would show us the dilemma.
    are you having steering issues now?
    or just thinking 'i am in there anyway should i' type thoughts?
    if it is working now dont 'fix' it.
    the drag link should slope to the rear of the vehicle when using lift springs

10. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Its more like .. geez I really messed up the drag link adjusting sleeve with that pipe wrench when I put the lift in. (Obviously any anti-seize from the factory was LONG gone). I'm going to be driving 1800 miles or so in early July and there's 'some' play in the drag link now, so since the sleeve needs replacing, new link ends too. I'm going to have to pass an out of state inspection when I get there anyway, one less thing to be concerned about. I could certainly just replace my link with a stock one, but was curious if anyone considered the drop arm or drag link a worthwhile improvement.

Right now the drag link is definitely higher on the pitman arm than on the steering arm

CT

11. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I'm running a 6" with the 4" steering arm and 2" draglink:

http://coloradok5.com/gallery/album60/aag

Never had any probs with the steering geometry since. And I don't notice much bumpsteer unless I'm over 70mph. We just lifted my buddy's Burb 6 inches over the weekend using only the 4" steering arm. His drag link is at an extreme angle. When turning his wheels while stopped, the front end lifts up. This is supposed to show that the steering geometry is off. During his test drive he got lots of bumpsteer.

So it wouldn't hurt to get the drop drag link, I haven't had any problems with mine.

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

FYI: Drop drag links don't do anything to change steering geometry (ie. they have no effect on bump steer). All they change is the opperating angle of the drag link ends and make it harder to adjust.

13. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Sounds good in therory but reality has taught me outher wise
    I have a 84 burb with 6" LIFT 4 ARM 2 DRAG WORKS GREAT
    also have a 82 crew cab with 6 " lift only 4 arm it sucks on corners and bump steer NOTE rember 1/2 ton frams are week at the box
    just my $.02 worth :-) lol & good luck

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

uh yeah right.
    more from people that dont know what bumpsteer is.
    Triaged is all over it.
    1/2 and 3/4 frames are same

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the front end lifting while stopped is not bumpsteer.
    that is an indication of excessive scrub radius from offset rims.
    not sure how your 'bumpsteer' can manifest itself at certain speeds.

16. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I agree that most of the lift of the front end will come from the scrub radius (in conjunction with the king pin inclination and the caster) jacking the front end of the truck up, but it could be because of the angle of the drag link (which will have a horisontal and vertical component if it is not flat). This would cause the front end of the truck to lift away from the axle and would only happen when the steering force is high (ie stoped...it would be worse with the brakes on).

17. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Out of curiousity, why should it slope to the rear of the vehicle?

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

barring the swaybar bind, with lift springs the axle moves rearward on compression.
    if the draglink angle is sloped towards the rear the effective length will increase on compression and may help reduce the bumpsteer.
    if the draglink is parrallel to the ground as the axle moves back the effective length of the draglink shortens as it travel in an arc adding to the bumpsteer

19. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Thanks, that makes sense. So I guess that means since mine slopes in the opposite direction that it's better for 'droop-steer' /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I don't have a serious bumpsteer problem as is, so I'm still on the fence on this one I guess