Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drop Pitman vs. raised steering arm

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1987Chevy, Jun 29, 2005.

1. 1987Chevy

1987Chevy Registered Member

I was wondering which would give a better steering angle on a truck with a 4" lift, a drop pitman arm with a stock steering arm or a raised steering arm with stock pitman arm?

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

drop pitman arm with a stock steering arm

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Something else to think about, a dropped pitman arm puts more strain (direct leverage) on the sector shaft. They can & do break, esp when wheelin'.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

... but a raised steering arm can/will cause bumpsteer.

5. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

go w/ drop pitman arm for a 4" lift. i used the raised arm and had bad bumpsteer. switched to the drop pitman arm and almost all bumpsteer issues went away.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have a 4" lift and used the stock setup for a long time (stock pitman arm, stock draglink, stock steering arm) and had almost no bumpsteer. with my recent axle swap i desided it was time to put my raised steering arm on. the bump steer is so bad, if i step on the brakes with my hand off the wheel, the wheel turns. i recently went wheeling with it and there were points that i couldn't even turn. i had to back up to get the front axle near level again to turn the wheel. go with the drop pitman arm.

7. supernaut

supernaut Registered Member

fix causes bump steer?!

i've got a truck with about a 4" lift and i have the death wobble bump steer. part of it is play in the tie rods, that will be fixed soon.

There are reports in this thread of the raise steering arm causing bumpsteer?

:confused:

Isn't the same result accomplished by a raised steering arm and a drop pitman? Reduce the angles in your steering caused by raising the suspension?

i'm looking at about $60.00 for the steering arm and twice that for the drop pitman, so for me it was a no brainer, especially since i replaced the drag link not too long ago. now that i see others mentioning problems with the raise steering arm solution i would like to hear some more opinions...

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The raised steering arm will correct for more lift than the dropped pitman arm. A common problem when using a raised steering arm with 4" of lift is that it will "over-correct" and cause a bad drag link angle.

9. Pow06er

Pow06er 1/2 ton status

wat about using a steering arm with 4" springs and 0rates?

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Well, you're caught in the middle. I've never run that combo, maybe someone who has will fill us in. :ears:

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That is what i'm using (raised steering arm, 4" springs, 1" zero rate) and the bumpsteer is no worse than stock.

12. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

I am running 4" springs up front with a raised steering arm and my truck is plain old scarry to drive! It wanders all over th road and has really bad bump steer! I have not tried a drop pitman arm since I dont drive the blazer much right now. The D60 I bought has a raised steering arm on it and it looks really tall and I think it is gonna make my steering even worse so I think I will switch to a stock arm and a drop pitman arm when I swap the axle in and hopefully it will help my problem. Anyone know where I can get a stock D60 steering arm?

13. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

14. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status