Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drop steering arm install ???????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k20, Jan 13, 2002.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

ok, im puttin my lift on today, and ran into a lil problem. Im trying to remove my old steering arm, so i can install the dropped one. Well, ive soaked the old one in WD-40 till theres a puddle in the driveway, and still i cant budge the derned thing. ive hammered, hit, pryed, and beat and it still wont move. ive removed the nuts on the 3 studs, and at the bottom of there studs are what look like washers or somethin but i cant lift them up. ont eh drop steering arm the holes are tapered, so is there some kind of sleeve inside this old arm or something?any other ideas how to get the dang thing off? thanks. (lift partially done, 2 or 3 weeks of workstill in it.)

2. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

Where did you hit it with the hammer? I've removed several of them. Get a realy realy big hammer and and hit it up and down repeatedly where the tapered hole for the rod end is. This is the only way I know.

1982 K10 Silverado. [​IMG] 327 SHPE powerplant SM465/205,15"custom lift 38.5"TSL/SWAMPERS 12boltrearD44 front,3.73 gears.

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

If the local NAPA has a set of cone pliers get em.
    They spread and grab the cone making it a breeze to pull them out once the afore mentioned slammin the arm trick.
    Once they are dislodged from their hole they pull right out with the pliers.
    It took me 3 minutes 27 seconds to get the one off my D44 that had been on for 24 years.
    I suppose you could try to wedge a small chisle in them to spread them, otherwise they will hang on till the very end.
    The pliers are the ones most commonly used to get the cones out of axle shafts on semis.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Don't hit it, BEAT it. Do it top and bottom and the cone washers will pop out. Skip the WD-40 and get some PB Blaster spray. Then beat it some more. Mine spent most of its first 15 yrs near the beach, so it was stuck bad.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Ive removed 3 of them and the best way i found was my oxy acet, torch and heat the heck out of it then hit it with a big hammer.
    The washers are actually cones which if you can get a good set of pliers on them they will twist, but once you get the arm off make sure and look at your studs, if they are rusted replace them.

" Wider IS Better!!!"coloradok5.com/gallery/albun51?&page=1

6. kilroy

kilroy Registered Member

3 to 5 LB sledge. Beat the he## out of it. It will come off.

7. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

another way is to get a deep well socket the same size as the cones and hit it this will bring the cones in and grab them with channel locks.....

NO LOCKER, STOCK GEARS, NO PWR BRAKES, NO POWER STEERING, NO PROBLEM!

HIT IT FULL CHICKEN!!!!

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Cool, haven't heard that one before.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>