Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drop the tank or raise the bed?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kyser_soze, Mar 13, 2005.

1. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Need a new fuel pump in my pickup, which one should I do? Safety is a concern, I will only do it if it is safe.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i just did my K5.. never did a pickup, but i'd guess its a toss up, depending on how good your mounts look..

my drop was easy cuz i only had 1/8 tank. :saweet:

btw, that sig rocks! :waytogo:

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

empty the tank and drop it out. that way you know if the straps are good for the long halls or not. and what kind of truck? for further info.

4. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I second that. Whole lot easier to drop 2 straps off the tank than it is to raise the bed. Work smarter, not harder.........

5. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

It is a 1998 chevy k1500 with no-mods. The tank is half full. I can siphen it though. The new unit costs $268.00:frown1: . One more question what is the sealer called that seals up the tank after the new unit is installed?

6. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

i third that drop the two straps not the bed i bet all the body mounts are rotted and you will het more mad just taking the bed off than changing the pump... Jmy 2 Cents

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

on a 98, you won't be able to siphen threw the filler tube, there is a BIG check ball to prevent anyone from steeling your gas, its acutally part of the tank.

ive pulled a tank from a 99 that was full (filled up, drove 5 miles and pump went out). droping the tank wasn't that hard, but i siphened it out of the sending unit hole before it went back in. i got a pump from the dealer, napa wanted like 350 and the dealer was 500 (with my discount 300) so i got it there. one nice thing with these new trucks, the pump replaces the entire sending unit, alot easier to replace, just cost more. the new pump will come with the oring for the sending unit hole.

8. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

I Just Changed One In A 98 Dually Tank Was At About 3/4 We Raised The Bed Seemed Easier/ no sealant has an o ring

9. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

As long as the bolts aren't massively rusted (and you have a buddy to help you), I would recommend lifting the bed. The '98 beds don't weigh as much as the 73-87 beds, so it's safer and easier to manage than 100 lbs of sloshing flammable liquid.

FWIW, lifting the bed on a 73-87 won't gain you full access to the fuel sender on a saddle-bag tank. It's half under the cab and half under the gap.

Blazers are just screwed all around. :mad:

10. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i think i'd pull the bed aswell. since its on a 98 it should be pretty easy unbolting her. as long as u have a few buddies willing to help. i just remember pulling the tank on my k5 was a bit of a pain.

11. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

We raised the bed on my buddy's 97, it was pretty easy that way. Something like 6-8 bolts, disconnected the tail lights, & took off the filler neck for the gas tank. His tank was topped off... so it was about the only way. If/when I ever have to do my 97, I'll probably lift the bed as well.

12. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Just did a fuel pump and sending unit on my friend's '97 Z71. The threaded fuel lines can be a bitch if you drop the tank. We took the bed off, we had four people and it was no problem. 18mm socket; the lower frame rail has access holes in it to get to the bolts.

13. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

damn i was gonna use that one when i finally break down and pay the 25.

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Pita Both Ways!!

Every truck is different--but from my experiences with gas tanks and GM trucks,its a pain BOTH ways!--every truck I've done here always needed at least one bolt torched off,no wrench known to mankind would remove them--not a fun job with gas leaking from a bad tank....sawsall works if you can get it near the bolts,and grinders are as dangerous as the torch--both the gas tank bolts and the bed bolts are going to be rusted badly on about every truck (here anyway)--so its not much of a picnic either way--I thought removing the bed saved work at first,but if your alone its more "do-able" if you yank the tank out,using a floor jack if its got a lot of gas--(I siphon it out as much as possible,after removing the filler hose,much easier to deal with empty!)..it not easy to remove a bed alone,even with an engine hoist,its not as easy as it looks on TV--best way is to have several strong friends handy,and to always expect a dent or two to happen--its cumbersome to get on and off without damaging it..( and you have to do it outside,unless you have a huge garage)..:crazy:

15. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

If you pull the bed, you don't generally have to pull it completely away from the truck. Just lift it up, slide it back and set the rear of the bed on the bumper and the front of the bed on the tire. That should give you enough access.