Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

droping new motor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grindkings, May 30, 2005.

1. grindkings

grindkings 1/2 ton status

All right guys, heres the scoop. I'm prearing myself to drop my new motor in my 91 blazer, of course its high as hell like all of our trucks, TBI also.. SO my question. What should i prepare my self for. Am i in for a long haul or what? any tips. This is the first motor i'm put in so learn experience also. I'll be doing all the work, outside. Just some woord of wisdom would be nice

2. BIGBLUEBOWTIE

BIGBLUEBOWTIE Newbie

I've ben there a tip or two mark all wires with a sharpie and duck tape and have a step ladder to get at the top good luck

3. Stormin

Stormin Registered Member

Take notes and keep your parts organized as you go. Concentrate on just one thing at a time and you will be surprised at how easy a motor swap can actually be. I would recommend taking off your tires before you start and let it sit on the rotors. Makes it a lot easier to reach in and out and you won't end up findin out that your hoist won't lift enough to get your motor out at an inopportune time.

4. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Take the tires off, or even better take the front clip off. Because you WILL have trouble lifting the engine high enough to go in. :blush:

5. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Step 1: Remove hood

6. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i reccomend just removing the front wheels and leaving the back tires on..set the front on its rotors...thats how i did mine..makes the front end pointed down, and the the engine clears the radiator support

7. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I took my front wheels off, left it on stands so it was just off the rotors, jacked the back up high and made a lift plate to bolt on where the TBI sits. It just cleared the front when it went in!
    Take the rad out. It's easy to do and gives you loads of standing room in the front of the bay.

m swap 004 copy.JPG

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Too many swaps..

I've done several motor swaps--it can be fun,or it can be painful!...it all depends on the working conditions,whether you have the right tools,and above all--a helper!...I have done several alone--but its nice to have an extra pair of hands when lifting the motor in/out,and pulling the hoist around with the engine on it..safer too--if one gets hurt,the other can call for help!--I've been in some pretty hairy situations,like when the motor is dangling by a chain,and the hoist decides to start tipping over!...suprised I havent been hurt or killed yet,with some of my dilema's I got myself into!..its best not to work alone,at least during the "heavy" parts of the job..

I usually just take the hood off and swap the motor in--(my 2wd 79 C10 I actually snuck the motor in with the hood ON!)...after confronting any height issues by removing tires and rims,its pretty straightforward as to what needs to be removed and installed...radiator,P/S pump,motor mount and bellhousing bolts,etc..

I took the nose off my 74K20 as I was scrapping it-(only about 10 bolts and some wiring to dissconnect)-I normally would not just to do a motor swap--but I'll say it was a LOT easier to pull the motor and tranny as a unit with the nose off,VS leaving the nose on and the tranny in the truck...only 4 bolts held the T-case to the tranny(NP205/TH350)and the 2 motor mount thru bolts and the P/S pump,and in 20 minites it was OUT!...and I had only 1/2 the usual backaches that a motor swap usually gives me...the nose wont come off easily alone though!--and if your body mounts are rusted,it might be better off left on.. Be aware no matter HOW you do it--its a LOT of work,and you WILL be sore for a long time after its done!.. :crazy:

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

that is what I did... the front clip that is...
    made it easier...

10. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

If you worried about the way everything is hooked up take a bunch a pictures, its great if you have a digital. That way you can reference eveything you took off. And like others had mentioned take note of what came from where, masking tape and a black marker works good. I have about 10 inches of total lift and I didnt have much trouble hoisting the engine over the radiator support, I have some dinky rollers that I put on in situations like this. Or just let the truck down as low as possible. A friend definitely helps to have during the intial part of the install, while trying to align the motor and trans and bolting it up. Otherwise I have hooked up the engine in my truck in just a little more than half a day. And mine is a TBI also. Good luck, have fun and be safe with that heavy thing in the air.