Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Droping The Gas Tank

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jc71355, Oct 15, 2002.

1. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I'm changing the Fuel Pump on my 91 this weekend And am looking for a few pointers/tricks/advice in dropping the tank. Is there enough slack in everything to let it come down before I disconnect the wiring/tubes or do I need to do it while the tank is up? What All do I have to take loose to get it down? I am gonna make sure that it's as close to empty as it can be when I do it.

TIA,
    James

2. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

i drop the tank in my 91.there is enough slack to drop it down quite a bit.just unhook the straps throw a jack underneath and lower it as much as you can then crawl under and unhook everything.just make sure you dont break the fuel lines coming off of the sending unit.if you do the units are big bucks.so just squirt the sh!t out of the fuel lines with some wd-40 and you should be fine

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

dont drop it. cut your floor. makes it easier for the next time . then cover it back up using the same peice of meatl with some tabs screwed on and carpet over it. rtv it down as well.
    grant

4. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

when i did it i unhooked my filler hose wo when i dropped the tank they would come with it...that allowed me to drop the tank to like knee height when i was sitting so the tank was basically in my lap while i was changing the pump out

Later

5. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info on what to expect.

I have a cutting problem /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.giflol. Especially on a rust free truck. It was hard enough for me to drill the holes for my soft top. I'm working on a cure though. It's a 72 K5 with rust.

Thanks Again,
    James