Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dropped & clocked t-case

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Jan 9, 2006.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Has anybody on here clocked a tc that has been dropped for driveline vibration issues? My 208 is dropped with the factory 1" spacers and I thought that you could might be able to clock the tcase to a higher setting than if the case was in the stock location and using the clocking ring.

Also, has anybody solved the issue of running a clocked 208 on a daily driver? Will it adequately be cooled? I *think* I remember seeing a pic of a Ford 208 that came clocked from the factory, so maybe it isn't and issue?

Thanks

2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would think that a clocked up t-case that is already dropped would cause uber-killer front driveline angles. With the drop you are already pointing the front output up then turn it up more. Your best bet would be to figure out how to lose the drop and put the crossmember back against the frame.

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

agreed.
    If you clock the tcase it will put the rear about where it was to begin with.

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

My 241 is dropped an inch and clocked flat. The ONLY way it will fit without body mod's is w/ a 1" body lift. The "factory" front driveshaft will barely come CLOSE to working, and only if it's longer. You're gonna have to clearance the CV and rotate the pinion up on the front end. MINIMUM, and at that, flex will be pretty bad before it's bound back up. Bringing the case back up that 1" would help out a LOT. The new front axle I'm putting in is cut and turned so that helps (then again, the 241 may or may not be going back in...)

KP

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Of all the posts I've the rear output doesn't move in any direction when clocking it, up, down, left right, anywhere. People have been having problems with front angles which I already knew. I was just wondering if having the tcase clocked would let it rotate up higher than if the tcase was in the stock location, meaning more tcase to floorpan clearance to go higher.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

never heard of or had any issue with a clocked tcase in a DD. i ran mine in my dd for almost a year, took it out when i put a stick in it and couldn't use it.

7. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you dont use the stock cross member, you can push the drivetrain up, but then you must cut a hole in the floor and modify your passenger seat.

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The whole concept sounds kinda' counter-productive. The entire idea behind clocking the t-case is to gain ground clearance, so why drop the entire t-case down 1". I understand your point about floor clearance, but I just don't think that is the answer to the problem based on the ultimate goal (gaining ground clearance).

9. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

So if I'm understanding this right by having the tcase dropped an inch and NOT having a 1" body lift, my tcase would "in theory" only be sticking down approximately an 1" below the frame. I know I could get a better measurement by crawling under the truck and putting a tape on it using the information I was given by DIY4x4. He states his ring in the "mild" position raises the centerline of the front input my 4.5". If memory serves me right the rear centerline portion of the tcase is in direct line with the front centerline output, so in turn if the front centerline output is rotated 4.5" then the rear centerline of the tcase would be rotated 4.5" as well. However, I do not know if there are any floorpan mods with the "mild" setting, waiting on a reply back. I would go measure all this but work and snow are keeping me from it, just tossing it around in my head. Again this is all in "theory."

Not my intent to cut up the floor on my daily driver...maybe I should have made that more clear.

10. MNorby

clocking it up w/o a body lift the top of the case will hit the floorboards thats why he has a 1" BL in to clear the clocked t-case.

11. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Here's a side shot of mine, clocked up flat, dropped 1" via the crossmember.

You pretty much nailed it. With a rear CV shaft, I would have been golden. The crossmember drop was really a little TOO much for my application, but it was a fit that worked for many years.

KP

side case.JPG

12. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Can you post where the 241 shifter came out?

13. MNorby

hereis my 241 clocked up before and after. Since the 241 uses a linkage for the shifter all you have to do is adjust to get the full range in the cab.

DSC01936.JPG

DSC01944.JPG

14. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Kyle, thanks for the pic. Is that with or w/o the 1" body lift? Just trying to make sure because I feel like I'm confusing everyone. :haha: Also, you don't happen to have a shot of it from the rear with it clocked like that?

15. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

sure do bro, but it's at the office. I'll post it up in the morning for ya :)

That pick is with the 1" BL