Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dropped drag link no no's in 4 wheeler,,why not??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5king, Dec 2, 2000.

1. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

dropped drag link no no\'s in 4 wheeler,,why not??

in the jan. issue of 4 wheeler on p.54+55 they have the top ten susp. related "not to's"...#10 say's not to bend your drag link purposely and that they are actually comercially available,which is puzzling to them!!! well i have a 4 inch dropped drag link on my rig along with a 4 inch raised steering arm!!!! if i put the original one on it is at such a hard angle that it looks really scary,like it'll break if the axle drops into a rut or even just steering the thing!!!! am i wrong in doing this or what??? i would like to put on cross over steering but cash and time are not in my favor right now.. i honestly can't see throwing away a couple hundred dollars of steering components!!!
    see it here!!
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1336065&a=10273565&p=34572530&Sequence=0&res=high

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1336065&a=10273565&p=34572531&Sequence=5&res=high

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Re: dropped drag link no no\'s in 4 wheeler,,why not??

I think the maz. guys were talking about bending a solid "stock" draglink. Once you bend one of these they very weak and can bend out of alignment very easy. Your 4" dropped draglink sounds like the one I used to have before I went with my crossover setup. These 4" draglinks are DOM custom bent tubing and are very short in overall length. These are very close to the stock draglink in strength. For your lift, you did exactly the right thing! Steve

3. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

BTTT,,,anyone else????

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

I have the same set up as you. I don't think they were talking about the after market ones. And if they were...oh well. It has worked well for me so far. But I'm goin a little higher, and I suffer from that damn wonder problem. So I am hoping to fix, or at least reduce that little problem with crossover steering.

[​IMG]

5. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I agree with titanic. The mags never explain the real story. Yes, a puny stock solid draglink that was bent after the factory is not a good. If you look at a dropped draglink made for a stock (non-crossover) setup, it's a pretty stout tube that I don't think will never bend (my old Skyjacker never did). If you go with crossover and need a dropped draglink like I did, then email Scott at http://www.rockstomper.com. He just made me his Rockrod for my draglink and made a 4" drop. The rock rod is 2 tubing pieces of DOM tubing put together to make a 1.5 outer dia and 7/8" inner dia. which means it's over 1/2" thick. This draglink will never bend. It's also cheaper than a OEM draglink. As a tierod, it can support the entire weight of the vehicle.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

6. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Hey Shawn,
    Got any pictures of that draglink and tie-rod?

7. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I think i'd be worried about breaking the steering arms off the knuckles, or possibly popping a kingpin....

Why don't you do a test for me? I'd really like to know the breaking point of those aftermarket steering arms!

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

8. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I think their point was that even if you bend the tie rod that the forces exerted between the the steering box and the pitman arm are in a straight line If you put a dropped drag link on you do not change the straight line force you are simply compensating for the lift. This will put an excess of strain at the points of the bend. If the piece is strong enough it will with stand these forces, but also remember that engineers always err on the side of caution. Just because it looks wrong on paper does not mean it will not work

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

9. Shawn

Here's a few pictures:
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/agr/draglink.jpg
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/agr/draglink2.jpg
    Also check out the cut sections on www.rockstomper.com.

Squash-
    Are you serious? Have you seen a crossover Dana 60 steering arm? It's 1" thick plate! How can you pop a king pin??? How would a dropped draglink put anymore stress on the stering arm, pitman arm, and king pins? I'd be willing to place a bet you would never break a thing. How about you testing it by jumping your truck 30 feet in the air![​IMG]

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

10. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

What they are getting at is that a dropped drag link does NOTHING to correct steering geometry. It does improve the angles that the drag link ends operate at, but nothing more. Your best bet for inexpensive steering correction (in other words, something besides a good crossover set-up), is a raised steering arm on the knuckle. Then you can use a dropped pitman arm on the steering box. Both of those methods DO correct the steering geometry, but at the cost of additional stress on the axle and steering box (good way to crack your frame). Once you are beyond that you pretty much have to use an s shaped drag link unless you are going to go crossover (far and away the best way).

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

11. Shawn

The dropped pitman arm and raised steering arm (or block) is great for a stock GM steering setup but when you do crossover, a raised steering arm (or block) will cause the draglink to hit the crossmember plus the lowered pitman arm may hit the leaf spring since it now is clocked 90 degrees and hangs right over the leaf pack. I didn't want to modify my crossmember and the angles were too much for the drag link ends to handle. I destroyed one end at 500 miles since the suspension flexed more than it could handle. At 7" of lift, the drag link still hit my crossmember on the ramp. The dropped draglink seemed like the best and only solution for my application.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

12. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Nice pics Shawn. Can you tell me what are those hydraulic lines that run to your steering stabilizer? And can you tell me how do you manage to keep your underside SO clean!?[​IMG]

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

13. Shawn

Thanks! The lines going to the steering stab. is AGR's new RockRam system where it uses a RAM to further assist your steering. I think they show this on http://www.agrsteering.com. I just keep painting over the dirt so it's not really that clean...[​IMG] It's amazing what paint will hide! [​IMG]

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

14. realsquash

You've never seen a broken steering knuckle? If the tierod doesn't give and you slip off a rock and the tierod lands on something hard (a rock!), oops, new knuckle time! It would be hard to contact the draglink on either system, but the 1" thick plate isn't the weak point, the studs holding it on top of the knuckle are :) Nothing wrong with the dropped crossover-style draglink, btw.

I've got a couple of those steering arms, they will be going on my hi-tierod steering this winter.

I'll take you up on the offer of jumping, but only in the dunes in michigan! I'd rather not land on a rock at 50 mph! I will challenge you to a distance-contest, tho!

Squash

15. Shawn

I didn't know you were talking about the tie rod. I have never seen a broken D60 knuckle. If you have pics, I'd like to see them to see where the week point is. I didn't think the steering arm studs was the week point but you never know. I know for a fact, the GM factory studs and nuts are not grade 8 since I kept stripping them until I bought new grade 8 hardware. I'd really like to see the hi-tierod setup when your done. I think Titanic has this setup on his and he moved the axle foward on the springs to help with the pitman arm clearance. No jumping contests for this boy. Call me chicken but I've seen too much damage from others doing that. I'll just watch you! [​IMG]

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

16. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

You gonna have an article on the RockRam soon? I was just reading a small blurb about it in a mag, 4w&or i think, and was kinda interested. Now that i see that you got one, its even better.

matt

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

17. Shawn

I should have the RockRam article done for Jan 2001.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

18. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Sweet dude. Can't wait.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

19. realsquash

I've seen broken D60 kingpins, tubes, and housings. Not a knuckle just yet. I'm just saying that i'd want a "fuse" in the system. I think i'll write a book on my winter project, maybe i can recoupe some of the money it's costing me! I'll let you know on the hi-rod, but there is a way to do it w/o hitting the leaf springs.

No jumping? The best breakage comes from jumping, except in the dunes where everything is all soft and easy ;)

Squash