Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dropped driveshaft, blown rear end

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blackwidowk5, Aug 13, 2001.

1. blackwidowk5

blackwidowk5 1/2 ton status

I was driving my blazer home from the alignment shop last week, when all of a sudden my rear driveshaft dropped. The rear yoke busted off the Differential. Well it happened to be on a steep hill and the pinion gear slid into differential causing the whole thing to lock. I got it towed home and opened it up and the locker had been all chewed up. i haven't been able to get a good look but anyways the piont is i need to either rebuild it or get a new rear axle. The busted axle is a stock 12 bolt on a '79. My question is whether i should put any money into fixing it or just get a new one or a junk yard one. If i do go with one from a junk yard are there any other axles from different years i should keep my eyes open for the will be a direct bolt up?? I also have 33 inch tires and wanted to rear gear at some point but i don't have alot of money. Any help witht his problem would be greatly appreciated.

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

It really depends man. If you cut your loses and go to your local yard then your at the mercy of luck and fate trying to find a suitable donor. And if you are planning to regear it will cost you just the same PLUS gears and labor. On the other hand I would clean out the housing and see what you can salvage from the hulk. If its just the carrier and gears without damage to the housing. I would bite the bullet and take it to your shop and get it regeared for what you want. You can stand to save some cash and time.

In my case, I would have to put down $175 for the rear. Then get gears for both the front and back, $575 all said and done. Then take it to the shop and lay down another $390 per axle to have it all put in. The costs are in Maryland(shaft you coming-going-all points in between) pricing for 10bolt/12bolt with 3.73s being converted to 4.56.

Now looking at this. I can upgrade to a combo of matched 4.56 Dana 60 and 14 FF from Waynes' buddy Rodger. That would run me $1500 to go full 1 ton. Only factors being the cost of ride to me, coversion u-joints, and misc.

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

You need to buy my 4.10 gov-locked 14 FF for 200!!!!!!!

Does anyone have a grinding disk I can borrow?[​IMG]3/4 in progress[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

4. blackwidowk5

Thanks for the prices. I have another question for you, is it possible to regear the rear and not the front and still be able to go four wheeling?( I'm new to offroading and don't really know a whole lot) thanks again.

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

If your talking about different gears ratios, NOPE!!!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

6. blackwidowk5

Does a 14 ff bolt up to a '79 with out too much modifications?? What kinda shape is it in? And is it a six lug?

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

It will bolt right up, but it is 8 lug and you'd have to get a conversion hybrid u-joint from NAPA. But they are cheap.
    And the 8 lugs aren't too expensive either.

8. blackwidowk5

Thanks again. I'll have see what i can afford, i may have to put off going int he dirt for awhile.

9. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

10-4 Good luck. Call us if you need us!