Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dropped pitman arm, steering block? Huh?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by skelly1, Dec 16, 2002.

1. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

So I am new to the jargan. What's the dropped pitman arm look like and what about the steering block. I have bump steer with my 4" lift and the extended steering arm. And it wanders all over the road, but that's besides the point. The steering is loose and there is no adjustment left in the steering box. I can tighten it until it binds and it's still lose. Tie rod ends are tight. Has new ball joints. Crazy brake pull to the right. Has a very slight pull to the right when driving. Anybody? How much do I have to get? It has a stock steering stabilizer. It has 4" pro comp lift springs in rear, 4" rough country in the front, although it sits at least an inch higher in the front. So either the rears are really 3" lift or the fronts are 5" or more. Nevertheless, it handles and brakes horribly.

2. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

if you want help fillout your profile like at least what city and state your in

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

It sounds like you need to get it aligned first...Then play with other stuff if it is needed.

4. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

OK, I updated my profile. The alignment shop had it for 3 months. I don't honestly know if they knew what they were doing, but they didn't and couldn't fix the brake pull.

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

You might want to check your steering box for cracks at the frame unless your running a brace. It can cause this and is a very common problem. A sticking caliper could drag the brakes as well and cause pull at the wheel. Also check your front and rear U-bolts and make sure the axle hasn't shifted.

6. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help. I didn't see any cracks at the frame, but I might pull the steering box off anyways. Is there any chance that the steering box could just be worn out completely? It seems sloppy and supposedly the tie rod ends and ball joints are all tight. The alignment shop supposedly swapped in new brake parts for everything and no help for the pull. I'll start at the steering box.

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Thats possible if you have visible slop.. If you can wiggle the steering wheel and the tires don't move then its a good place to start looking. If you have a cracked frame it will show up at the lower bolts and along the seam in the side and bottom of the frame coming away from the steering box bolt holes and can bee real hard to spot.

8. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I read that to do crossover steering you need the 2WD steering box because it has 4 positions that you can clock the pitman arm as opposed to the 4wd box that has only one position. Can this be used for a stock 4WD steering setup as well as the crossover setup? I'd like to go to the crossover eventually and if I need a steering box, why not be that much closer.

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Unfortunately no... it would place the tie rod end of the drag link at an impossible angle. There are people beginning to make custom arms for a 4wd box indexed to run cross over.

10. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

So, I should get a 4WD box and wait for the indexed arm. Thanks for the help. Where do you go wheeling around here?

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Oh shoot.. I didn't even realize you were local! Theres lots of places to go. I use my site http://www.echobit.com/cgi-bin/iconboard/ikonboard.cgi to list trails and local runs. Theres nothing planned right now (which is odd) but the weather will bring about a bunch of runs soon! Coral Canyon is a great run for all, Los Coyotes is also a good time. I run Borrego Springs a lot which is also a blast. Most of the coastal areas are closed but I may have a run up Palomar mountains west side lined up (still checking) What county are you in (North, South, East?)

12. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I'm in Ramona. I've been going to Glamis for years with the sand toys, but since I'm now pushing 30, I'm trying more of the 4bying. Plus with 2 small kids and mom working on weekends, what the hell. I've been to Ocotillo wells a million times, but you really need a guide there. The blowsand, devil's slide run gets boring after a while.

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Between Ocotillo and the town of borrego is a ton of interesting wash areas, canyones, climbs and dry lake beds. To the north over by the Salton Sea is a great area called Truckhaven Hills. As soon ans I get my front shaft fixed, we should go for a run out there. Being 30 with a 5yr old son, I can relate to your falling the way of the rock crawler.. but wait until they get older, then your back to the high air fast stuff!

14. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Where are you at in the lovely city of san diego? I can go down there to Borrego or Ocotillo just about any weekend for the day or whatever. It's like going to the beach. Man, doesn't San Diego suck? I'm hoping to take the kids to Julian this weekend to see the snow and what the hell, maybe after they get cold, I'll take them down to the desert to warm up.

15. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm down the mountian in west San Marcos. San Diego is a great place to live, but not very recreational when it comes to off road vehicles. Were the last one into a recession and the first one out, our winter consists of a week or two of rain when it gets cold enough that you might wear a jacket, surf then snowboarding in the same day, hang gliding the ocean cliffs at La Jolla then sail planing the deserts in Borrego in the same day.. and of course all the far east county OHV areas. We really don't have much to complain about! Hahah. It's no wonder we're over crowding! I run out to the desert about once a month, maybe we can hook up and do a bit of guided wheeling through the badlands /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

16. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

I replaced my steering gear the other day and it made a great deal of difference in the "wandering" and loose steering. I ordered a 2" drop pitman arm and I hope that is going to make it perfect. I also replaced the drag link last week which helped further. There's almost no "play" in the steering now and I hope the new pitman arm makes it as tight as a new truck.

Adjusting the nut on the top of the steering geer just made it harder to steer and did nothing for the "looseness" of the steering, so I got a new gear and it did the trick.

Good luck!

17. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I think I'll buy one and try it. It would be cool if you follow up on how the dropped pitman arm worked out too.

18. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Will do! Last night I stayed up WAY too late replacing the ball joints and axle u-joint on the Driver side. That was a big job. It tightened up my steering another notch too.

On your "high in the front" situation, I had a similar problem after installing my lift, except it was high in the back. What I did was remove a leafspring from the front and put it in the back, then threw away the blocks that came with the kit. That leveled it out. I had purchased new rear springs and I think they were just a little too stiff. You might want to put one of your front leafs in the back and see if that levels you out. ORD sells a 1" spacer thing (zero rate something or other) that I bought also and it gave the truck a nice stance.

I'll get back to you after the 2" drop is installed.

19. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the ideas.