Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dropping front spring hangers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudFlap, Feb 17, 2003.

1. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

Is their anything wrong with making new ones or dropping the front spring hangers on the front springs?

I have 6" springs and I figured that this would be a good way to get some extra lift and help my pinion angle.

Thanks

2. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

No experience, but watch your caster angle if you do much... might want shims or do some custom rotation.

I have wondered about building some nice ones, not too much lower than stock, but with some nice gussets (sp?) out of some heavy stock instead of the stamped stock jobbers (sure do get cluttered in that region /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

There was a guy around here who had cut of the forward spring hangers and welded in like a 4"x4" square tube and then put the mounts back on the bottom of it. It looked cheesy and he ended up with front driveline problems. He ended up taking it back out and getting taller springs. Ended up with the same lift but no driveline problems.

4. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I'am doing that to my truck right now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

6. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

7. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Can anyone say Caster Disaster! This is NOT a good idea.

If you drop BOTH ends youll retain the caster that you need.

OR if ya wanna go high$$ you can have the axle tubes cut and turned to regain the ness. caster after the work is done.

9. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

Yikes... stuff like that is the reason we end up fighting lift laws /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

10. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I believe that I can cut my axle tubes and reweld them, my dad owns a machining and weld shop.

So if I want to get 8" of lift with 6" springs, should I put on a longer shackle, drop the front hangers, use zero rates or some kind of combination of the three? Or is there anything else that I can do?

Thanks

Trey

11. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I believe that I can cut my axle tubes and reweld them, my dad owns a machining and weld shop.

[/ QUOTE ] Its not quite as easy as just cutting them off and rewelding. Your dad has a machine shop so you have a definate plus. The tubes and ends MUST be true and at the same angle. Any deviation from the tubes being true would give the same effect as a bent housing, IF you got the shafts in they would wear badly and most likely break easier w/ a bow in them. And be sure to get the caster back where it belongs or it will pull and drift and change lanes on things as small as the painted stripes on the road.

I rotated the pinion up 1/2in when I did the spring over on my Jeep and it would drift all over and the painted lines on the road were almost a religious experience. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I shimmed the pinion back down and it handled fine after that.

Im not saying your dads shop cant do it, just giving you a heads up on what to watch out for incase you dont know. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the heads up, but I wan't just gonna cut them with a saw and twist them and reweld them. I understand that everything needs to be true and my dad and I will do it right, and get everything where it needs to be if I decide to do turn the tubes.

Thanks

Trey

13. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the heads up, but I wan't just gonna cut them with a saw and twist them and reweld them. I understand that everything needs to be true and my dad and I will do it right, and get everything where it needs to be if I decide to do turn the tubes.Thanks

Trey

[/ QUOTE ]

a lot of jeep guys do this they grind the weld off the knuckles and beat them off the axle tubes. put em back on where they want em and weld em up again. i know there is more to it than that, but that's the basics of it. if you just shim the pinion up it screws up your castor and you will have horrible bumpsteer like the other guy said. i had a 6 inch lifted blazer that i shimmed the front on and it would change lanes as well with a little bump or on a panic stop. very scary - for me and the other motorists! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif