Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dropping fuel tank for new fuel pump Yeah Right!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73K5Kid, Apr 22, 2007.

1. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Decided to change my fuel pump after my mechanic bro's friend tested my fuel pressure. I was getting ready to drop my fuel tank. I decided to make an access hole to my fuel pump and sending unit instead. I had done this before on my 75 blazer when my sending unit went bad. I plan on either buying a new piece of factory bed and using some self taping screws to cover. Or I am going to buy some hinges and make it so I can open with the hinges. My fuel pump wasn't bad there was a small hole in the rubber line that connects the fuel pump. I went a head and put a new fuel pump and filter. I also enclosed a pic of my 14 ff that I changed a few weeks ago. I plan on swapping in a 4 inch lift next weekend if all goes as planned. :D

000_0024.jpg

000_0023.jpg

000_0025.jpg

2. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Good idea. It's probably much easier doing it that way, rather than try moving that massive fuel tank around under the truck. Makes you wonder why GM didn't think of that when they built 'em ;)

3. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Makes you wonder why GM didn't think of that when they built 'em ;)

I think cause they wanted you to pay the 500-800 dollars in labor for a new fuel punp at the dealer. :doah:

4. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

its actually not that hard, i did a fuel pump and shackle flip in my new blazer a few weeks ago and mine even has the skid plate, every bolt was rusted and it took me twice as long, but i feel bette about not hacking my floor now, although i did think it was a good idea after the first bolt broke on me (and the gas tank strap stuf broke).... Nate

5. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Nate you have a lot more patience than I do. After looking at the skid plate and the tow package and worrying about the tank falling. I decided to cut the floor. I figure when I have to change my sending unit and fuel pump again. It will be a 20 min deal.:p:

6. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

i took out my tank to install the body lift. it had the tow package and didn't know they had a hole in the frame already. if i was to do it all again i woulda thought it through and asked around. the hardest part was gettin to the lines on the tank and gettin the hoses off. just decided to cut em and replace em.

7. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i had to drop my tank today and the straps were so just and the bolts were so seized i just cut um...i bought a universal kit from napa which is alil smaller but im gonna put a third stap on to make up for that..

8. lectric80

lectric80 3/4 ton status

Wait, Nate are you saying there is rust on a truck in AZ? I didn't think that was possible, I though only those of us here in UT and the north had to deal with that kind of stuff.:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I got rid of our 1996 because ours went bad. When I was dropping the tank I used a 8" x 12" 2x12 and brought the tank down. Once it was down I then broke a clip above the tank.. at least that was replaced with the replacement sending unit / pump assembly.... however when I put the tank back in I forgot to use the board... and dented the tank. so then when you were down to 1/16 of a tank and hit the brakes at a light.. all the fuel went forward and the truck was starving for fuel... you had to tap the gas to get the fuel to roll back then it was ok... that was the last straw.. I got rid of the truck cuz I wasnt going to drop that tank again :haha:

so now there is a 2005 trailblazer ext sitting where that truck used to be.....

10. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

The straps, and skid plate came right off of my truck when I changed the fuel pump, and sender unit.

But my tank was emty-ish and it only has a 4" lift. It kinda made it perfect to crawl under, and catch the tank.

11. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

Lectic 80. your in Toole right? welcome to Chevy Hell! I am in SLC, soon to be mooving to the Layton area (work)This place has all the info you would ever want as ar as chevy's are concerned. I usually hang in the lounge , just for all the drama. its much more fun than the garage.

12. Element

Element 1/2 ton status

Had to do the same thing in my Trans Am for the fuel pump. Been wondering how well it would work for the K5, and it looks a hell of a lot easier than dealing with dropping the tank. What were the measurements to get the hole positioned right above the pump and sending unit? Might have my next to-do on the Blazer right there...

13. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

friends 2000 silverado did the same thing, we unbolted the bed on one side and jacked it up high enough to get to the fuel pump. 1/2 hour job this way. I dont drop tanks anymore, its a pita.

14. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Had to do the same thing in my Trans Am for the fuel pump. Been wondering how well it would work for the K5, and it looks a hell of a lot easier than dealing with dropping the tank. What were the measurements to get the hole positioned right above the pump and sending unit? Might have my next to-do on the Blazer right there...]

Well I first had to get my center underneath and I measured about where the fuel pump opening is at. I did the hard part already. All you have to do is open the tailgate and get the width of the bed is approximately 6 ft. The center is 36 inches or 35 1/2 inches. From the lip where the tailgate closes go 14 1/2 inches to get your center mark. And from the center mark go 4 1/2 inches from side to side. And from top to bottom go 4 1/2 inches. Which totals overall 9 inches x 9 inches. You can alway cut a bigger access hole if you like.

15. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

You do know that hitting the "quote" button will save you the work of typing out someones responses/questions right? Then you can always delete the stuff between the
    that you don't want...

LOL or as I just learned make it look like someone said something that they didn't! hahaha now to keep myself from abusing that power!

16. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

actually, i got this blazer from drsnazzy, its got some good amount of rust on it, didnt actually find more of it until i was driving the other day and my seatbelt came loose, guess what... the panel is completely rusted, and because of the trim piece i didnt see it when i inspected it before i got the blazer... my fault, should have never traded my yellow truck for this rustbucket pos, but hey, it looks great until you lift the carpet and trim panels... haha.. nate

17. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I got a tailpan we can cut an oversize piece from . Smooth the edges ( or round them over ) , apply some stick on weatherstripping to the bottom . And them use four countersink screws and bezels in the corners just long enough to go through .

Would keep it flatter than a hasp , hitch pin , and hinges .

18. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

:crazy: try doing it in a 92 trans am..lets just say my dad and I decided to cut a damn hole the 3rd time..

19. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

LOL

mike I just made my other post and then read this lol, my dad has an 89 formula 400 now..well its got a plate with some gasket sealer and self tappers too now ..

20. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

I've got three EFI burbs, and two of the three have the same trap door cut in them. I cut a piece an inch larger on all sides, ran a small bead of silicone around it, and tack welded the corners. Makes it real easy to get into them the next time.
    Jimbo