Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dropping Gas Tank Tips

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bluehen, Oct 13, 2006.

1. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

Put in a new fuel filter last night. I had bought one earlier in the week when it started to hum real bad. Had every intention on working on it last night. It just so happened I didn't quite make it home from work. The durn thing quit at the entrance to the neighborhood. All-in-all not that bad. I had a neighbor tow me home and I worked on it in the street instead of the driveway. Minor inconvenience. I did learn a few things though.

Thought I would share:
    3 bolts front and 3 bolts back for the skid plate.
    The straps are on a "hinge" at the front of the tank.
    * Drop the tailgate and you can access all of the nut/bolts for the skid plate and tank straps.
    After that it's all pretty straightforward.

I just didn't realize how to get to the nuts and bolts in the rear until I dropped the tailgate.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A fuel filter or fuel pump? The filter is on the frame rail ahead of the tank isn't it? If you meant fuel pump then it makes a bit more sense...and regarding the dropping of the tank you're lucky the tank strap nuts actually came off. Usually they are rusted on, and the stud on the end of the strap breaks.

Rene

3. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

:doah: Doh

Yeah.
    Fuel Pump.

* Do Not Attempt This Method If You Are Replacing Your Fuel Filter.