Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dropping gas tank

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by walt88, Nov 3, 2000.

1. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

I have an 88 K5. I have the gas tank skid plate. It covers the whole botton of the tank. I need to drop the tank to put in the ORD shackle flip kit. My truck also came with the tow package. What do I have to do to get the tank out?

Keep the shiny side up, and the greasy side down.

2. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

It's easy..
    To remove the skid plate: there are 3 bolts in front, 3 in back. 9/16th's i believe.. I just put my skid plate back on.
    The nut's are welded to the skid plate.. so just use your socket to remove the skid plate bolts. You can get to the 3 in the rear just by lowering the tailgate and you'll see 3 evenly spaced bolt's. Remove them.. then remove the one's underneath above the Rear axle.
    Then to remove the Gas Tank,
    There are two bolt's you can see when the tailgate is lowered. You'll see if you look underneath, there are two straps holding the tank up.. just trace the straps to the rear and you'll see the bolts you need to remove..
    Make sure you have a jack underneath the tank when you lower it.. it's freakin heavy if it's over half a tank of gas.
    Then reverse the operation..
    Hope this helps.
    One more thing: Make sure you have the filler neck bolts removed.. just open the gas door. and remove the 3 small screws.. That's it.

It's better to have it than to need it, than to need it and not have it !!!!

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

One more smmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllll detail.......make sure there is very little gas in that tank, those suckers can be real heavy...........[​IMG]

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Just finished putting mine back in after repairing a leak. Rocko covered most every detail. My straps weren't bolted in the front of the tank, had j-hooks through the frame so just had to unbolt straps from the frame by the tailgate. One guy can do the job, but four hands are alot better, the tank was very akward to handle until you get it down.

5. Jackson 88K5

Jackson 88K5 1/2 ton status

Be careful of the connection on top I got up in there with my tools and disconnected them before dropping the tank because the first time I took it out I had too much gas in it and yes it came down hard, messed up one of the return tubes.