Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dropping in a caddy 500 (mounts)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieBlazer, Aug 15, 2005.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Where did you get your mounts? This motor is going in my c-10. I'm looking at the universal kit from www.500cid.com .

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

that would be the place! I got mine from them, they even gave me advice where to score some cheapmounts local(hint; the mounts are 425 caddy mounts with a piece of plate steel with a few holes drilled in them) worth 100 bones?? prolly not , but they do work! :D

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

google this..

Type the words "78 Chevrollac" in a google search and go look at the pictures in the guys racing website--..that guy used stock eldorado motor mounts,and a 9" peice of 1/2 inch flat plate to bolt his caddy motor in..doesn't cost 100 bucks either!..you will need a rear sump oilpan in most cases from an eldorado too(unless your 4x4 has lots of lift,then you MIGHT be able to get away with the "mid" or "front" sump pan all RWD Caddy's came with.. :crazy:

4. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

got mine from ORD well kinda i got the bushings from them the rest i did. Heres a pic of mine theres a couple more in my gallery.

brandons stuff 020.jpg

escalade4.jpg

5. BowtieBlazer

i have a good nitch i'll be building mine myself as well. This motor is actually out of a RWD model. Still attached to the TH400. I guess its time to start measuring, I like the 425 caddy mount suggestion.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Have you looked..

There is a 76 Caddy 500 and TH400 sitting out in my shed for the past several years awaiting a new home--I nearly put it in my 79 C10 last year when the 250 six croaked..but I felt a 1/2 ton was a waste of all that HP and torque!(not to mention it might shred even the 12 bolt rear end!)...I'd prefer to use it in a truck that will haul heavy loads,like a ramp truck or one ton dump body truck..at the rate I'm going,it will be siezed before i get around to doing anything with it! :crazy: :doah:

I know a few guys who have 500's in their C10 Chevy trucks..I rode in and drove one of them,and it was like driving a dragster!..even with 3.08 gears,the guy had NO problem BAKING the tires in all 3 gears,until we reached 80mph,when the truck finally caught up with the tires about 1/8 of a mile away! :eek1: :eek1: ...I thouroghly enjoyed my time behind the wheel!.. :D

He didnt change his "mid sump" oilpan,but made taller engine mounts so it wouldn't hit the crossmember,it looks like hell,and I'm suprised it doesen't vibrate due to the extreme angle on the tranny tailshaft,but it didn't!..he used the "super long tail"TH400 like I have,and a Pontiac Lemans driveshaft fit perfectly with no alterations!---only the crossmember to the tranny mount needed to be moved,a few holes drilled,and the tranny mount needed adapting(caddy ones have a "weird" bolt pattern not shared with any other GM!)...other than that,little modification was needed..he put another truck just like it together in one weekend,after he gathered all the parts,for his friend!... :crazy:

7. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

man, i'd put a 500 in a c10. i WANT a dragster truck. that would be sweet.

i've heard rumours of crazy high mileage for a big block like 16mpg if you keep your foot out of it. the 1970 spec one are 400hp and 550tq, aren't they?

a pickup with 500ci would be a sweet sleeper. that's how i would build it.

8. BowtieBlazer

ohhh...its getting built. I appreciate the info, trying to finish up a SB swap in a friends truck then on to the 500 project hope to be finished by monday