Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dropping my transfer case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beater74, Jul 26, 2001.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

I'm fixen to order my 4" lift (shakle flip)from ORD and i understand everything that is involved in doing this except dropping the transfer case how is this done and how far do I have to drop it? hopefully the wife will let me use our tax reimbursement check to do this

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Just place a jack under the skid pan on the transfer case, then look for the 2 bolts on each side of the t-case crossmember. You will see that there will be 2 barrel looking spacers above the nuts. You simply remove the nuts, then lower the jack just enuff to get the spacers in betwen the frame and the crossmember, then re-insert the bolt and nut and tighten. Then do this to the other side.

Did you say I have monkeys flying outta my butt?[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I did it by myself in about 20 minutes. It is really easy.............Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

so i use those barrel looking spacers that are above the nut to place in between the member and the frame or what do you use to do this?

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You don't need to drop it in a 74. If your still full time you better not drop it because it will bind the CV joint.
    What you will have to do it cut off the purches and rotate the pinion down 5 deg on the rear axle. That's what I did on my 75 and it runs down the road vibration free all the way to 70mph. The people running into the vibe problem all seem to be 10 bolt 208 or 241 case. Not sure if the 12 bolt's pinion sits higher our it's that slip yoke drive shaft but I didn't run into any problems the newer trucks are having.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>

Grim-Reaper

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Mine never had a vibration until I blew the slip yoke - Now it's got an extreme vibe to it, that comes in around 55 and goes away at 65. I'd guess that the problem lies with the slip yoke shaft - 29.5" long means that it worked at some pretty tight angles before lifting the rig.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Dah, I need to start paying more attention to the posts. My bad. I forgot about the shackle flip, as this sends your rear pinion angle way up above center line from the T-case.

Looks like you need to get to cutting and welding bro.
    Thanks for cleanin up after us Grimmy. You outta be getting pretty good at that by now, with little Zan![​IMG]

Did you say I have monkeys flying outta my butt?[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>