Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dropping t-case problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88k5canuck, Nov 28, 2001.

1. 88k5canuck

88k5canuck Registered Member

Well he is the short of it. I added a 4" superlift springs about 10 months ago. Then recently I added 1.5" blocks in the rear to level the truck out. After this, there is a noise coming from the back of the transfer case when I let off the gas. The 4x4 shop said just lower the transfer case. My truck is a 88 so it has the spacer under the cross member. I was just going to put the spacers above the the cross memer. My problem is the front y-pipe of the exhaust is almost hitting the front driveshaft already. If I move it anymore I will be in trouble.
    Does this mean I have to convert to dual exhaust with dual converts too. I am under emission laws. This is pretty costly fix for dropping the t-case.
    Thanks for your reponse ahead of time.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I know someone on this site said something about getting a replacement pipe or getting the Y pipe fixed or a new one made for cheaper than converting to duals.
    I have never had to do anything because lucky for me, I never had the Y pipe on anything.
    I have seen them while working on others trucks. It does appear after a lift has been installed that you may be able to run the Y pipe OVER the driveshaft, but IMO, that may come close to the tranny pan and generate heat to the transmission. Another option would be to have a new longer Y pipe made to fit down lower below the driveshaft. But these are just my ideas for the cheap route. [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Wes is right. The more cost effective route is to simply get a shop to re-route your y-pipe to a better location.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

This vibration could be bad U-joints, too. Do yourself a favor and spend $7 on one of those little angle finder gauges and figure out what your T-case output shaft and rear-end pinion angles are. Then you be able to figure out what is wrong and what needs to be done without a lot of guessing.

Lowering the transfer case is easy and quick and could possibly solve your problem, so it's worth a try. But if that doesn't make everything good, where will you go from there?

<font color=green>Oh man, 4:10's are sure better than 3.08's!</font color=green>

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Also remember your exhaust will come down a little with the t case drop because you are also tilting the engine at the same time. I had a new pipe made to clear mine and it was only $42 but the t case drop had nothing to do with getting the new pipe bent because mine did not clear after the lift and axle swap even before dropping the case.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>