Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dropping T-Case Question... And Tire Question... Help Please!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sarazk5, Mar 27, 2002.

1. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

I took my truck to Driveline Service today and had them check my angle. He said to drop the T-Case 1" and then bring it back so he can recheck it to see if I need to do anything else. I know how to drop it.. but what have you guys used for the spacer? What works the best etc?

Tire ??
    I am in need of new tires. Mine won't stay balanced and are out of round. What tires are good. I want a mud terrain, but want somethign that will ride decent on the road etc.

Does anyone have the Good Year MTRs? I am leaning toward them so I can do 1 year no interest on them at Goodyear. How do they ride? Any other recomendations?

Thanks.

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

the MT/R's are far and away in my research (as loosely as the term can be applied) to be the best radial out there for any type of terrain, tarmac included.

Dropping the t-case i have no idea.

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Dropping the xfer case is as easy as getting a 1" spacer to place between the chassis and the cross member. As for what to use... try the HW store. I'm sure they will have something that would work just fine. Use 7/16 bolts!

Tires... MTRs are a great choice if all you care about it traction. If you have any money in to dental work, I might skip them. I have a buddy that has 31" on a S-10 Blazer... at low speed they shake that truck hard enough to knock those fillings out of your teeth! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif And at highway speeds, they howl like there is no tomorrow. But if you drop them in the mud, snow, sand, rocks, etc... they will make you very happy! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif If you want a more driveable tire, I might check out a set of BFG MTs. I have not heard anything bad about them.

Just my .02

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

on my 85, it has 1" spacers from the factory... all you have to do is put them between the tcase x-member and the frame... as opposed to between the bolt head and the x-member which is how it should be from the factory. I can have my dad snap a pic of my set up (which has been dropped an inch) if you'd like. If so, PM me and I will put it up on webshots.

J

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Dropping the T-Case involves switching the factory spacers so they fit in between the frame and T-Case. The spacers are already there. Tires... I like the BFG Mud's or the Goodyear MTR's.

6. jekbrown

oh yeah, the tire question... I dont have MTRs but from what I have heard they are a gr8 off road tire... but a bit noisy on-road. If you wanted a quieter on-road tire... you might try ProComp MTs. That is what I run... and I am continually amazed at how quiet they are on-road. Good tire and generally less $pendy than BFG MTs (which are also gr8 tires IMO).

J

7. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

My problem with using the stock spacers is... well I only have them on 1 side! Due to my driveshaft problem my crossmember kept vibrating loose..I lost the bolts and spacers on the passenger side twice! So... The stock spacers are out of the question. I'm trying to figure out what else to use.

We have the ProComps on our 4Runner, and i agree they are a great tire... However I'm trying to do this with no cash. I need to use credit.. Goodyear doesn't carry Procomps, and 4wpw pretty much pissed me off when i talked to them about the tires for my truck. Told me the sale is over.. told me they can't install them.. and want to charge me to ship them there since they don't have them in stock.

8. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Have to agree with most that the spacers were already there, just had to put them between the frame and the crossmember.

As for tires, I will have to give my vote to SSR's. So far they are a very good all around performer that is excellent in mud, quiet on the road, and will wear reasonably well.

9. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I would suggest taking one of your factory spacers off of the truck and take it into the hardware store...they should have something similar. You might have to cut them to size or something, but is a cheap fix.

I have the BFG MTs, and my brothers both have the Pro Comps, they are nice. A friend had the MTRs and they weren't that bad on the highway, but definitely louder than the BFGs and Pro Comps...

10. jekbrown

well, if u cant find a viable option at a hardware store, you could always have a fab shop make you a couple out of 1" plate. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Cut out a couple of squares and drill a hole through em and you're good. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

J

11. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I think my b/f and I are going to have to go to the Steel shop and put his drill press to work. Thanks for the advice.. I'm still kinda leaning towards the Goodyears though. Are they just noisy or is it a bumpy ride too? I have tons of sound deadener on the truck.

12. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

To drop my case, I took an old front spring bushing insert and cut it down to 1" pieces. It has worked great for the past 6 months. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I like the idea of the 1" plate though....

13. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

my mtr's arent noisy on the road, their quiet
    but i agree they are very nice off road, got me outta some very "deep" situations