Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dropping the tranny & t-case. . .

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Jun 26, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Well, it's finally time. . . i MUST rebuild my tranny or get a new one, and i gotta get it out. this is the first time i've dropped a transmission, and i hear that mechanically it's fairly simple, but HEAVY. how have ya'll dropped yours? here's my plan:
    1) build 4'x8' rectangle out or 4x4"s with small casters at bottom
    2) place rectangle under transmission and transfer case with 50-60lbs of pressure on transmission and case (so it doesn't drop when i unbolt everything.
    3) support rectangle on jackstands
    4) unbolt/disconnect transmission from engine, t-case from driveshafts, place jack under engine to prevent sagging
    5) strap transmission and transfer case to boards
    6) with help of friend or two lift boards off jackstands and lower to ground
    7) roll away. . . /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

would that be ok? i don't have enough money for a rebuild kit and a transmission jack tall enough to fit my truck and i think with would work as well, what do ya'll think?
    thanks,
    red

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Since you have to do it anyways, it'd be safer to just remove the tcase first, then remove the tranny.

Less weight and chance of getting hurt that way.

3. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I too would remove the tcase and adapter.

4 foot by 8 foot is quite big /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have pulled many trannies with just a floor jack with a piece of wood on it to keep from denting the oil pan.

I have since purchased a tranny jack adapter that works well. I paid $46.99 for it and it can reach my tranny with a 4 inch lift and 35 inch tires. The jack by it self, a big one, can not reach it but the adapter extends it by several inches. I would get one of those if you can.

4. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I just looked at your sig. I guess a tranny jack would be no help with that lift /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Besides unbolting it with the board under there, it souds like an easy way to get it out.

5. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I just looked at your sig. I guess a tranny jack would be no help with that lift /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Besides unbolting it with the board under there, it souds like an easy way to get it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take the tires off, put the axles on jackstands at a height where the rotors/drums are an inch above ground. That should allow you to reach things much better.

I still wouldn't remove them together at that height.

6. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Here was my reply to a post earlyer in the week on basically the same subject i have done it like this several times
    but here is a way ya can pull it basically safe ly
    tie a chain or a STRONG rope over the cab of the truck then put a chain around the adapter then use a cumalong feed it throught the acess hole in the floor pan - ( middle hump ) then just lower it down 1 CLICK at a time
    make sure all is unbolted torque converter etc etc etc and save the crossmemberbolts 4 last then just lower it all in 1 shot
    this is the way we do it when we burn a tranny on the trails
    hope it helps and ya live 2 tell about it
    at lest take some plywood and some spare tires to drop it on to
    in closing good luck