Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dropping Tranny Pan In Driveway

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Jun 4, 2001.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I want to drop my tranny pan to put in a temp gauge. Any tips on dropping the thing while it is in my driveway without making a HUGE mess? Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 4" lift, 33" BFG muds

2. johnnysjimmy

johnnysjimmy Registered Member

be very careful lol

73' GMC Jimmy 8" lift and 35" tires.....14 boltff and big 10 bolt on the way

3. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I got a fluid transfer pump from the parts store for about $15 bucks. It has a long extension so theoretically you can change your oil without removing the drain plug. However, it works good for removing a few quarts from your tranny and making less of a mess on the driveway. I can't remember the name but it used to be orange in color.

90 GMC Jimmy, 350 TBI, 700R4, 32's
    84 Bronco II 204,000 miles and counting...........that's 206,000 and counting now

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

The way i do it is to pull most of the bolts out and leave the ones in the "corners".Then remove those slowly,EXCEPT FOR 1 BOLT!!! and the fluid should begin to drain out.Slowly loosen them until they come out,progressivly(sp) draining the fluid out. When the others are out pull on the pan a little to drain some more from the pan while its hanging by the 1 corner. Finally pull the last bolt,and remove the pan. There will still be fluid in the pan but if your careful you wont get a tranny fluid bath. I hope this helps,if ive confused ya ill try to clear it up.[​IMG]

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

5. ericsoffroad

ericsoffroad Registered Member

get a big a@@ pan and watch out i also recomend not draining it when it is warm as we all know atf expands when it get hot so cool is better

6. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

I agree with pureinsanity, just loosen the bolt a little then loosen one half of the pan mor and let the fluid drain out into a large catch pan, i also recomend putting down newspaper or cardboard to catch any the pan may miss, and why not do it in the street?

Check out my 73 K5 http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

OK i left out the pan! DUH! [​IMG]

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

8. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Get a BIG drain pan and if you can ,set it on top of something like a wheel or cement blocks or something.The closer you can get the pan to the tranny the less splash yer gonna have.If its windy youre gonna need to block the wind because that just blows ATF all over.Then take out all the bolts but one.Wack the side of the pan with a rubber mallet ,not hard enough to bend up the pan,just hard enough to break the seal of the gasket.Now is when the mess starts after the pan has broken loose.Wait for what ever is gonna run out to run out and then support the pan with one hand and take out the last bolt with the other.Slowly pull it down and dump it in the drain pan.If you change the filter make sure that the old gasket or O ring on it comes off with it.Putting the new one on top of the old one and doubling them up can cause funky problems.And last ,make sure the pan is flat around the holes before you put it back on and dont overtorque the pan bolts.I torque pretty much all trans pan bolts to between 85-100 in/lbs.Good luck

All work and no beer makes Frizz a dull boy

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'v used the fluid transfer pump like Matman says. It works very well. Saves a big mess. Mine is orange and came with enough hose to slide down the dipstik hole and pump out the fluid. It is a hand operated pump. it cost about 14.00. It is also handy for changing the diff fluids also.
    I also put a drain plug kit in my trans pan the last time I had it off. It is the best $5.00 bill I've ever put in my truck. Makes changing the trans fluid a piece of cake. Most auto parts stores sell them.

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

When I did mine, I put a big sheet of plywood I didn't care about on the ground and laid on it...face it, there is almost no way to not get ATF on the driveway, every time I try my best, but......I think I'm going to do all my oil changes in the street from now on.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i just have a big bucket. bigger round than the pan. used bottom half of a trash can. the next pan i put on i had a drain plug in... HINT HINT.....

they sell drain plug kits for real cheap out here. 8 smackers....

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.

12. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Drill a 1/2" Hole in the pan and drain into a bucket - Then put a drain plug kit in when you're done. Also get a bag of mortar - It will pick up any spills without leaving any trace behind.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Great call.

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.

14. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Uh...I just remove the drain plug! Oh sorry you don't have one;(

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust