Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dropping transfer case question for my Crew Cab?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-ton, May 31, 2006.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I need to drop the transfer case on my 1991 V350 Crew Cab. Since it is a long wheelbase Crew Cab, the drive shaft is a two-piece with a carrier bearing in the middle. The problem is that I only need to drop the transfer case 1” (1-1/2” at most). As many of you know, the transfer case is already sitting on 1” spacers from the factory, so the dilemma is, if I drop the transfer case only 1”, then the transmission cross member will be sitting right on the frame, which is not good. I could get away with dropping it at most 1-1/2”, which would bring the transmission cross member ½” below the frame. Does anybody have any thoughts are suggestions on this?

P.S. I will also be dropping the carrier bearing as needed too.

2. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

i just used square tubing i had laying around to drop mine.

3. 1-ton

Since I am only going to drop it 1/2" at most below the frame, there really is no square tubing for that. I was thinking of going with a set of plastic nylon 1/2" spacers because the material they are made of should absorb any vibration from being too close the frame. Then again maybe this logic is flawed, which is why I am posting this question, in case somebody has a better idea (It has happened before).

4. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

if im thinking correctly, 2 - 3 inch stock should drop it just right, thats taking in account the drop it allready has, then adding the inch and a half.

am i making sense? its almost 2 am and im probaly not lol

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why is that not good? How do the 1" spacers change anything from direct contact.

6. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Question, could you just drop the carrier crossmember down to fix the angles(im assuming this is what for)?

On my 95 2wd i have the 2 peice shaft, and i bent the crossmember for the carrier bearing. So i replaced it. But you could drop the crossmember, make the mount for the bearing that is angled so that the bearing sits on the shaft correct, i blew through 3 bearings cause of a bad angle.

Another idea is to get some small tubing that fits over the bolts, then take some flat steel and have it mount flat against the frame and take up part of the drop, giving the frame more support on a wider surface. Putting less stress in the small area of the bolts and spreads it out. Then do the same to the bearing crossmember. But makesure the shaft is flat so that the bearing is not angled inside at all, it will eat itself quick.

7. 1-ton

Good Question. I already had the carrier bearing dropped 1", in order to compensate for the 7" of lift I had in the rear, which worked for the 7" of lift. But recently I have added 1" more of lift in the rear (for a total of 8"). Now I need to drop both the transfer case, and the carrier bearing a little more, in order to compensate for the current 8" of lift.

I was thinking along the same lines. What if I took just some flat steel (say 3/8" to 1/2") to mount it to the underside of the frame? Do you think I need to have the round spacers to go with the flat steel as well?

8. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Personally, i wouldnt put tube spacers on if i got some 3/8 or 1/2 flat steel. Use that as the spacer and have 1 peice of steel space both bolts for plenty of strength. Dont want to rip through the frame.

Make sure that bearing is happy. Mine ate itself quick when it wasnt perfectly 90* with the shaft.

9. 1-ton

Thanks, that sounds like the plan I will go with.