Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dropping Transfer Case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by walt88, Oct 31, 2000.

1. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

Someone explain how to lower your t-case without lowering trans and engine. Also how do you lower it if you dont need to do engine & trans?

Keep the shiny side up, and the greasy side down.

2. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

There are spacers on the bolts that hold the cross member to the frame. Pull the bolts out, lower the cross member a little bit, put the spacers between it and the frame, and tighten the bolts back up. You just lowered your T-case. It's pretty easy and GM was nice enough to put the spacers on the truck at the factory. This method lowers the tcase and tips the tranny and engine back a little but that doesn't hurt anything. If you want to lower the tcase but not the engine and tranny, that gets really expensive very quickly.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

3. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

Thankyou, I'm going to do that, maybe take some of the vibrating oout because of the SEVERE angle.

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I PUT A 2.5 INCH LIFT ON MY BLAZER AND THOUGHT MY FILLINGS WERE GOING TO FALL OUT COS OF THE VIBRATIONS. AFTER I LOWERED MY TCASE IT DROVE LIKE A CADILLAC. IT ONLY TAKES 20 MINUTES OR SO, TOO!

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

5. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I dropped it and my Blazer rides so nice, no more grinding sounds and vibrations. I am so happy thanks!!

6. James

James 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,
    I have a question as far as the crossmember there are 4 upper bolts, two each side for the upper part of the frame. The bolts go down through the top of the frame but underneath the body of the truck. With just enough room for an open end wrench to hold the head of the bolt between the bottom of truck body and top of frame. You obviously have to change the bolts due to not long enough once the spacer is on? right?. Do you not have to losen the body to frame mounting bolts so you can lift the body slightly to install the new longer crossmember bolts for the upper part of the frame?

7. Glenn

Glenn Registered Member

The bolts go in the bottom of the frame rail not the top.:)No need to be unbolting the body.

8. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

How far is everyone dropping their transfer case? How does one go about figuring the right size spacers to put between the frame and cross member? I saw someone mention relocating the factory spacers but I don't have them anymore.

Smitty

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

OK, so the spacers go between the frame and the crossmember after the drop? I think mine has already been lowered[​IMG]

90K5