Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drove 2 cool vehicles this week...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Jan 1, 2005.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

1st was Christmas Eve - my dad's new VW Touareg with the V10 turbodiesel. Loaded with every option you can think of. Very nice vehicle; standing right next to it while idling, you can only tell it's a diesel if you know what to listen for, and the "whoosh" of the twin turbos spooling after hammering it is the only external indication of the performance potential of this thing (aside from the rapid disappearance!).

2nd was tonight - a 2003 Roush Stage 2 Mustang. If I was going to buy a Mustang, this would be the one. 120mph and still felt like it was on rails. Think it, and the car does it. Take that long sweeping turn at 100? No problem, thanks to the BFG g-Force T/A's and well-tuned suspension. Hey, there's a car, gotta slow down from 120 to 50 - done in 2 seconds, thanks to the 6-piston Brembo calipers and huge drilled & slotted rotors up front. And the sound... oh my goodness the sweet, sweet sound of this thing. It's LOUD, with a little bit of reverb inside, and the exhaust note shakes the floor when you hammer it. My wife (who barely tolerates my automotive addictions) even said she liked the way it sounded! The exhaust dumps are just ahead of the rear tires (NASCAR-style), and it truly sounds like the cats run straight into the dumps with no mufflers. I'm sure there are muffs in there, but they've definitely been tuned with audio satisfaction in mind.

Just wanted to share with folks who appreciate these type of things...

2. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

I was looking at new trucks, test drove an 05 crew 4x4 powerstroke duelly Lariet. That thing rides nicer than my 02 hd1500 4x4 crew. I wish I had an extra 45K burning a hole in my pocket.

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah a v10 torbo?????

lift it and slap 42's under it then we can talk :rotfl:

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

V-10 twin turbo diesel...not exactly Grampa's VW is it? I had a long look at one a few months ago, but it cost more than my house. :eek1:

Rene

6. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

you lucky dog you.:D :cool1:

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yep, a 5.0L, 18.0:1 compression, diesel V10 with twin turbos. 310hp at 3750rpm, 553ft/lbs at 2000rpm. You can check it out at http://www.vw.com, or in the new Four Wheeler; they gave it FWOTY this year.
    And yeah, it's expensive as hell. But aside from the Porsche Cayenne Turbo (which is nearly double :eek: the cost), it's probably the fastest and most powerful midsize SUV on the market. Plus it'll tow... I think it's rated for 7700lbs; not bad for a midsize SUV.

And regarding the 'Stang..... My wife shocked the hell out of me today when she not only remembered that it was a Roush Mustang we drove, but that the guy's name is Jack Roush! She REALLY wants to buy it... but she's not compatible with a manual tranny, and we'd have to sell all our other vehicles to afford it, leaving us nothing to drive in the rain & snow. Oh well........
    But at least the door is now cracked a bit for a rocketship in our driveway's future!:cool1:

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if it came with a dana 60 or portals, that toureg would kick ass... as it is, it'll prolly never see anything but the mall and golf course... some rich guy whos never been offroad behind the wheel. sigh. Oh well, in spite of the entire SUV market going to hell and handbasket (aka IFS) things like the PowerWagon and (gasp) Rubicon give us real wheelers some hope.

j

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Kim and I had the opportunity to drive a Caddy CTS for a weekend in November, and ever since them Kim has been aggressively hinting that our lil' Hyundai just doesn't quite cut it.:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I'm glad I'm not the only guy out there who can't afford to buy his wife the car of her dreams.

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it'd be cool to swap one of those V10 diesels into a chassis that is user-friendly... Too bad the only people who could afford to do it right are the people who's only mechanical abilities consist of writing a check or whipping out the Gold or Platinum card.
    My dad's one of those rare exceptions in the high-end SUV crowd - he used to 'wheel and drag-race, he owns a successful topsoil, hauling, and snowplowing business in upper Bucks County, PA and drives a tri-axle dumptruck all day at least 3 days of the week. The Touareg is more for his wife than for him, but I could see him taking it to a jobsite if my stepbrother has his '04 2500HD DMax/Alli out somewhere else.

11. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you had a good time! Coolest thing I ever had to drive was an '03 Porche 996 turbo while i was working at the towing yard. I had to bring it to the body shop up the streey and didn't feel like putting it on the flatbed. Damn that thing was fun!!! I hate driving tose things though. Makes me lust for those things I cannot ever afford!!

12. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Those Toureg's are sweet!!! I'd love to test drive one. Um and well own one, but no chance of that in the near future.. :( Althoguh for the price, I can buy a nice 3/4 Dodge 4x4, ext. cab with the Cummins and still have enough left over to build a nice rig!!! :)