Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drove a powerstroke today

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 87BrnRsd, Sep 5, 2006.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I drove my buddies 02-04 F350 powerstroke dually up the mountain today. Its got a superchip in it. Man...torque. That thing pulls really strong. However, he is on his 3rd turbo and it is going out. The tranny isnt shifting right either and feels like its slipping. Its an automatic.

He said hes trying to sell it to buy a SRW cummins. Still, that things got some torque. Makes going up the mountain a breeze.
    -Harrison

2. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

Traitor!!!

3. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

yeah I got to drive my neighbors 04 super duty that had the last year of the 7.3 pwrstroke in it and it has a hypertech programmer. Yeah, even in the medium power setting, we were towing back my cucv on a car hauler, and I almost forgot it was back there. I honestly had the cruise set on like 75 the whole way and didnt have a single hickup. Too bad they changed from the 7.3, I have heard alot of horror stories about the new 6.0powerjoke.

Remington

4. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've got a 2000 F250 3/4 ton with the 7.3. Great pickup, been my daily driver for about 4 years. I bought an 04 E450 conversion with a 6.0 two years ago for a delivery truck at the company. Biggest POS we've ever run. In two years and about 120,000 miles I went through 2 heater cores, rear main transmission seal, rear differential seal, alternator, new turbo, 2 blown injectors and 1 busted rocker arm. #3 cylinder came apart in July and blew the engine. I just sold it as is to a guy for $3500. When the motor went, Ford offered to cover "part" of the $19,000 engine. I told them to kiss my rear end, I'm done with them.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Bahahahaaa.... try driving a BOMBed cummins Ram if you think a PSD has torque....:wink1: I have mine set at a mild 810ft lbs.

Your buddy needs to educate himself on his truck. Instead of wasting time with stock autos he should be looking into a company called Suncoast, NADP, and DTT. Modified transmissions are the only way to go with any real power.

The turbo thing sounds funny though.

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Our 6.0 used to eat turbos. It does have plenty of torque though. On the "tow safe" hypertech setting it'd cruise at 75-80 no problem (trailer was a bumper pull too). Combo weighed in around 15 or 16k IIRC. On the "high performance" setting I can get the tires to squeal in 3rd. :D

7. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

So did you actually dyno it, or just add up the numbers your plug-in box said you would gain:rolleyes:

8. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I read the other day that the Furd 6.0's are blowing head gaskets due to head bolts stretching when power mods are added....what a ****in' joke...gimme my CTD any day...

9. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

my dad has an 03 7.3L... by far the best truck ive ever driven. pulls the toy hauler at a combined weight of 22k at 80mph all day long. we've got some property in southern utah at 10,500' elevation and going up the hill hes gotta llift a lot to slow the damn thing down. oh and my cousin has a 6.0... hes got over 30 injectors in it, 2 cylinder heads, a few pistons, 2 turbos and 2 transmissions. ill never own a 6.0.

i'd like to have a 7.3L or a 5.9 cummins... those are damn good engines. a good friend of mine has one putting 495hp and 945ft-lbs to the ground...

10. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

ok im seriously worried about you guys. last time i looked, this was still CK5? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :D

11. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thats what I'm looking at but for my price range, def going with the cummins. I'm seeing 94-96 12v long bed std cabs going for arround 5 k :) THE PSD are about 2 g's more.

12. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Does GM make a K5 anymore? :p:

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

What's a "K5"? :p:

14. jekquistk5

whats GM?:D

15. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I only posted this to say I drove a powerstroke. Not that I wanted to go out and buy one. I would never buy a PSD.

Of course it has torque. Ive never driven or even riden in for that matter any of the 3 big diesels (PSD, Cummins, or Duramax). My 85 Diesel benzy isnt exactly a torque monster. I was merely stating that with 600+ ft/lbs of torque...anythings gonna move.

I wouldnt buy it though....I hate ford. My friend doesnt even like the truck. Its had too many problems including eating turbos, replacing injectors, and the tranny problem. Thats why I said he was selling it to get a cummins.

I would REALLY like to drive the newer duramax's with 650 ft/lbs..:eek1:
    -Harrison

16. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

personally ill never buy another GM product... im not at all a fan of their trucks or cars for that matter. and if i were buying a diesel it'd either be a 7.3L PSD or 5.9L cummins, the dmax is ok but i dislike GM trucks enough to keep me away from owning a d-max...

17. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I like the Cummins engine, but it's too bad it come wrapped in a Dodge. Now if I could justify wrapping one with my '91 Sub.......

18. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

sounds like i need to start shopping in KZoo. nothing around here is anywhere near reasonable.

19. jekquistk5

Alot of em have about 200k on em, but they are all stock, so they should easily have another 200k left.

20. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

my bud bought a 06' powerstroke and in the 9 months he has owned it, it has been in for repair for 6 of those 9 months. they have put 5 turbos and replaced the injecters too many times to count. and just a host of other parts to numerous to count, they have replaced just about every single thing on it motor and computer related too. they were finally forced to put a new motor in it. well they put a reman motor in a truck that was 9 months old!!!.

when they fired it up it grenadded!!!. they were not suposed to put a reman in a truck that new so my bud raised hell so they actually stopped the porduction line to pull a motor from it. so a new motor went in and Im not sure of status at this time. my bud says with all the repair in service cost and parts he saw paperwork showing total repair cost to ford of $109,000.00!!!!!! :eek1: :eek1: this is no bull s**t either. this is from his friend that is the service writer at one of the two dealerships it has been at during all this trouble.

he even bought a chevy canyon in the mean time to get back and forth to work. he should have did a lemon law, law suit a long time ago but he actually liked the truck and just wanted it fixed, plus he thrives on this type of drama so he let it just continue. why I have no idea.

he did say he was curious to see just how long and how much money ford would really be willing to spend on repairing this POS truck. well they spent ALOT.